Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Scooping the fretboard

Hi All

Just thought i would create a thread for this as people might be interested in doing some scooping of there own…

Unknown-1

4 Likes

I’ve never seen that done before. Cool. I assume this helps to eliminate ‘clicking’ of your pick on the fretboard when you are picking in the so-called “Y” position for the more mellow sound? Thanks!

It does yes but i did it because i found that i was hitting it while picking as on that model of Mando it really is quite long compared to others…

Impressive work

1 Like

Thanks was worried I might screw it up but turned out ok :grinning:

Easy compared to making these I guess…

3 Likes

Wow, great job! Some folks go back and put silver pin striping where the frets used to be, but not necessary. Thanks for posting!

No probs Ben happy to contribute and I think it looks good without TBH :+1:

1 Like

I guessing you accomplished the scoop using a router and then smoothed it with a sanding block? A few tips would be helpful. You did a nice job on it.

I second @MissMaggie - Awesome job.

1 Like

Hi Mole…

Yes i used a hand held Dremel with a 3mm Router bit, which TBH was tricky to get level which i achieved by taping two blocks of wood either side of the fretboard

Once i had routed the bulk off i used a sanding block to get all the router marks out and then waxed it to a final finish

Let me know if you need anymore advice

Thanks for the tips. I may give it a try on my el cheapo mando.

1 Like