Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: What a Friend We Have in Jesus

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/what-a-friend-we-have-in-jesus-mandolin-intermediate

The guitar solo is first, but stick around for a tasty mandolin take on this classic hymn! I love the space in this arrangement combined with the syncopation!

3 Likes

Yay! Love this song. Great arrangement. I like the way the Northfield sounds on that.

3 Likes

I am LOVING this Northfield! I bought it to sell, but it hasn’t been listed on the store yet…for some reason.

2 Likes

Well, now I know what I’m learning on mando next… Is that the artist series? the headstock looks like an F5s

1 Like

Yep, the Artist series. The best mandolin I’ve ever had in the Cabin.

3 Likes

Wow, even better than your Gibson, Snake, and the Big Mon? Thats gotta be some mandolin…

1 Like

Yes, blows them all away.

3 Likes

You may not want to use it in videos… someone might make you an offer you can’t refuse!

4 Likes

You are simply an Outstanding Musician Ben. Worldwide music thanks you for your existence. Perfect arrangement.:clap::clap:

4 Likes

Wow… High praise indeed!

1 Like

Just finished learning this, great arrangement. I noticed several parts sounded very similar to Hannah’s song

2 Likes

Ben. Question on technique. On the two string tremolos (measures 37, 38 etc.), are you using an up-and-down motion of the wrist, or are you rotating the wrist/forearm so that you see the pad of the thumb (if you follow what I’m saying). I came across an instructional video from Sharon Gilchrist recently, who was talking about using the latter approach, which seems harder to me. Thanks.

2 Likes

Interesting question…

1 Like

I’m doing a little of both. It’s a 3-dimensional movement, not a 2. Does that make sense?

1 Like

Yeah, it does. Takes work to get everything right-all four strings, musicality and the timing.

1 Like

I’m really struggling to figure out the fingering for the first measure of the chorus