Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Learn to Play in Any Key: Find Your Bearings

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:WOW!!! Ben just what I needed!!! Thanks!!

5 Likes

This is a great lesson. I feel like I have learned so much from it. Thank you Banjo Ben!!!

5 Likes

Hehe when I first got my Mando I made sure and get a capo thought have one for the guitar so I’ll need one for the Mando, WRONG!!! … out of the 9 years I had it I think it went on once and that was to see if it fit LOL

Once you learn the full movable chords it’s like bar chords on the guitar you just move them around but been so long since I played it I’m not even sure it’s in it’s case it may have ran away & joined the Circus just so it’s around others Hehehehe

Well Ben another good refresher maybe I’ll even go check on on my poor abused lonely Mandolin

Thanks & GOD Bless

6 Likes

This is fantastic. Please consider doing a similar series “Learn to Play in Any Key” for Banjo. Thanks for all you do.

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to this one!

4 Likes

I don’t know, but the sentiment I have heard seems to be more of a gut reaction disdain. Like responding to someone who puts ketchup on ice cream. I have used capos, typically for songs where I want open chord shapes (which you can only do in one key without a capo or re-tuning) and the key is wrong for the singer. At a bluegrass jam I am almost always playing closed shapes anyway, so capos don’t even come to mind.

Looking forward to working through the lesson!

7 Likes

I think this is a breakthrough lesson for me Ben! Thank you!

7 Likes

Hey Welcome to the forum here @madden.jesse! Hope your having a great time at a great place! :smiley::grin:

2 Likes

I’ve had to listen to this lesson about 4 times on different days but I believe I’m starting to get it. It has opened up many doors for me in understanding the mandolin.
Thank you BanjoBen.

6 Likes

Excellent lesson, lots of good information here. Thanks for all you do to help us improve.

-Tim

6 Likes

Great lesson! Not to get greedy, but could you give us a chord progression (or a few) on guitar to practice over? Or recommend an existing lesson to practice with? I tried to find one, but most don’t have the 2 G measures, 2Cs, 2 Ds etc and I’m not advanced enough to break it up half way through the pentatonic lick yet.

I know, I’m being greedy! :grimacing:

4 Likes

Great lesson, plus it gives my pinky a good workout!

5 Likes

Hey Man welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Funny!!

I have to confess- when I started to play songs with my son for worship at church, he would capo his guitar so I thought I had to capo my mandolin. Somewhere along the way, I figured out if I could just watch his chords I could figure out some scale or arpeggio to cover with my mandolin.
NOW Ben has all the answers and this is a lesson for me!!!

1 Like

Amazing lesson !! When I first watched "Unlocking the mandolin neck " I was struggling with all the concepts. Now I’m really seeing how it all ties together and feeling sense of understanding and things are making sense. Thank you so very much, Ben !! You are an amazing teacher.:clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

Howdy Folks - this isn’t really a reply to what was already said. I am just trying to post a new comment - don’t do this much at all so not sure where to go.
Just getting around to this lesson. I absolutely love it but, I have a question maybe someone can help me with. Ben asked us to pick three keys to try this. The first key I picked was F on the D string (third fret) - simply because that where my finger happened to be sitting. Using the 1-4-5 - F -B-C but, when you move up one onto the G string it is not a B but an A#/Bflat.
Have I completely missed the concept (don’t think so) or is this just correct - It sounds good to the ear.

2 Likes

The 4 of F is a Bb (B flat). It sounds like your ear is working correctly!

3 Likes

Thanks for the reassurance! Happy picking!

2 Likes

This lesson is gold. A real lightbulb moment in my mandolin playing. I can now play up the dusty end of my mandolin. :rofl:What a lesson Ben. cheers

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Campbell!

1 Like