Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Learn to Play in Any Key: Find Your Bearings

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/learn-to-play-in-any-key-find-your-bearings-mandolin-intermediate

Hey, no capos needed around here! Let’s finally LEARN this mandolin neck and play sweet licks in any key that’s called! If you’re willing to put in the work, I will help you get there. Enjoy this first lesson in my new course: Learn to Play in Any Key!

10 Likes

If only i could play mandolin…:):smirk::wink:

4 Likes

“There are some applications where you do need a capo on a mandolin”

:scream:

:upside_down_face: :joy: :wink:

This looks like a really helpful lesson. Thanks, @BanjoBen!

4 Likes

Ooops: https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=10155063135017942&ref=watch_permalink

hahaha

5 Likes

WOW, this is a great lesson @BanjoBen!! I actually feel accomplished!!!:rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Wait, what!?
:scream::scream::scream::wink:
Great looking lesson by the way, I’ll have to check this one out soon.

5 Likes

Found this in the “Sunday funny” thread:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Out of curiosity, why is it less common to use a capo an a mandolin than guitar or banjo? Is it because the mandolin is tuned in fifths?

7 Likes

@Michael_Mark
I’ve always guessed it was cuz the lack of real estate on the fretboard, not a whole lotta room to work with if capoed at 5 to play in C…
Sunday funny was great :grin::rofl:!!

4 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:WOW!!! Ben just what I needed!!! Thanks!!

5 Likes

This is a great lesson. I feel like I have learned so much from it. Thank you Banjo Ben!!!

5 Likes

Hehe when I first got my Mando I made sure and get a capo thought have one for the guitar so I’ll need one for the Mando, WRONG!!! … out of the 9 years I had it I think it went on once and that was to see if it fit LOL

Once you learn the full movable chords it’s like bar chords on the guitar you just move them around but been so long since I played it I’m not even sure it’s in it’s case it may have ran away & joined the Circus just so it’s around others Hehehehe

Well Ben another good refresher maybe I’ll even go check on on my poor abused lonely Mandolin

Thanks & GOD Bless

6 Likes

This is fantastic. Please consider doing a similar series “Learn to Play in Any Key” for Banjo. Thanks for all you do.

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to this one!

4 Likes

I don’t know, but the sentiment I have heard seems to be more of a gut reaction disdain. Like responding to someone who puts ketchup on ice cream. I have used capos, typically for songs where I want open chord shapes (which you can only do in one key without a capo or re-tuning) and the key is wrong for the singer. At a bluegrass jam I am almost always playing closed shapes anyway, so capos don’t even come to mind.

Looking forward to working through the lesson!

7 Likes

I think this is a breakthrough lesson for me Ben! Thank you!

6 Likes

Hey Welcome to the forum here @madden.jesse! Hope your having a great time at a great place! :smiley::grin:

2 Likes

I’ve had to listen to this lesson about 4 times on different days but I believe I’m starting to get it. It has opened up many doors for me in understanding the mandolin.
Thank you BanjoBen.

6 Likes

Excellent lesson, lots of good information here. Thanks for all you do to help us improve.

-Tim

6 Likes

Great lesson! Not to get greedy, but could you give us a chord progression (or a few) on guitar to practice over? Or recommend an existing lesson to practice with? I tried to find one, but most don’t have the 2 G measures, 2Cs, 2 Ds etc and I’m not advanced enough to break it up half way through the pentatonic lick yet.

I know, I’m being greedy! :grimacing:

4 Likes

Great lesson, plus it gives my pinky a good workout!

5 Likes