Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Learn to Play in Any Key: Find Your Bearings

Hey Man welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Funny!!

I have to confess- when I started to play songs with my son for worship at church, he would capo his guitar so I thought I had to capo my mandolin. Somewhere along the way, I figured out if I could just watch his chords I could figure out some scale or arpeggio to cover with my mandolin.
NOW Ben has all the answers and this is a lesson for me!!!

1 Like

Amazing lesson !! When I first watched "Unlocking the mandolin neck " I was struggling with all the concepts. Now I’m really seeing how it all ties together and feeling sense of understanding and things are making sense. Thank you so very much, Ben !! You are an amazing teacher.:clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

Howdy Folks - this isn’t really a reply to what was already said. I am just trying to post a new comment - don’t do this much at all so not sure where to go.
Just getting around to this lesson. I absolutely love it but, I have a question maybe someone can help me with. Ben asked us to pick three keys to try this. The first key I picked was F on the D string (third fret) - simply because that where my finger happened to be sitting. Using the 1-4-5 - F -B-C but, when you move up one onto the G string it is not a B but an A#/Bflat.
Have I completely missed the concept (don’t think so) or is this just correct - It sounds good to the ear.

2 Likes

The 4 of F is a Bb (B flat). It sounds like your ear is working correctly!

3 Likes

Thanks for the reassurance! Happy picking!

2 Likes

This lesson is gold. A real lightbulb moment in my mandolin playing. I can now play up the dusty end of my mandolin. :rofl:What a lesson Ben. cheers

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Campbell!

1 Like

Thanks! Honored to have you on the forum and glad you made the connection!

1 Like

I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time I have watched this lesson. This time it is sticking and I had a real breakthrough moment!

3 Likes

Wow that’s great to hear, @Scottymalotty!

Hey, I am two years behind you all but I really love this method of learning the keyboard on mandolin. Yeah, COVID knocked me for a loop, but at least I am working on this stuff now!! Great lesson Ben!!!

1 Like

Looking at the 1-4-5 Quick Guide sheet I’m confused about not and the number above. For example, are the numbers above the note the count for notes in the chord? Looking at B flat D with 3 above D, where is string and fret number?

1 Like

Hey James, welcome to the forum! I don’t see that 1-4-5 Quick Guide sheet included in this lesson’s resources; are you sure you have the right lesson? Can you provide a timestamp of the point in the lesson where this comes up?