Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Just a Closer Walk with Thee

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/just-a-closer-walk-with-thee-mandolin-advanced

This old hymn offers lots of room to stretch out, and that’s what we’ll do after we establish the basic melody. Have fun with this one!

8 Likes

Yay! This is gonna be fun! Did you get the dobro back out for the backing tracks?

1 Like

Love this old hymn @BanjoBen hope you do a banjo break and a little slow backup lesson. I try hard to play along with Sierra Hull on this video.

6 Likes

Sweet and perfect!

1 Like

Did you ever have a tab for your dobro version?

1 Like

BanjoBen, did you say you were going to talk about the rhythm? Did I miss it?

1 Like

I’m really having trouble with section 30 (the G#dim part). I’ve slowed the speed way down but can’t get the fingering. The rest of the tune is coming along just fine. Could you break that part down please? Which finger goes where for each note? I’d really like to play and sing this one!

1 Like

hi Marion,

Did you watch the video?
The little gear on the lower right gives you a pop up menu to choose the speed.

The last note in measure 29 is second finger.
slide down one fret to use second finger again on first note of measure 30…this is not a slur, each note is picked separately.

the fingering for measure 30 is as follows: 2132 1313

Hope this helps, and have a nice holiday.

Dave

4 Likes

Hey Dave, yeah I slowed it down all the way but my screen is too small to really see it and then I got frustrated. Honestly, I tried to figure it out for more than an hour!
I’ll work on your recommendation today. It’s such a cool version of a great tune. Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I GOT IT! Now to get it up to speed :partying_face:

5 Likes

Awesome! up

2 Likes

Excruciating at 50bpm, but it is sounding like a tune. I cannot get the mp3s to work; just keeps spinning. Is anyone else having trouble with this?
And thanks again fiddlewood!

3 Likes

Hi Marian are you trying to play the Mp3 files on the website or have you downloaded them to your computer/ipad/phone ?

A spinning icon generally means a slow internet connection / download speed. Try refreshing your browser and try connecting again.

They work fine on the site using a PC.

What type of device are you using?

1 Like

Well, it’s working just fine today. I use an iPad, not a computer. Never had that issue before. I’m just glad it’s working now!

2 Likes

And I didn’t realize I can now download to the iPad. Couldn’t do that before!

1 Like

Glad you got it sorted Marian fixed

1 Like

Oh Dear Banjo Ben, the PDF tab for the advanced melody is identical to the basic melody. Unless I’m doing something wrong, would you please make the advanced tab available? Thanks!

1 Like

The Intermediate solo TAB starts at measure 19 on the same sheet as the basic solo.

2 Likes

G#dim?
1 x 2 x ?

@Timmy
Maybe this helps?
Agh, after loading this, it looks like you have to click on the 1st image to see all the choices you have. If it doesn’t come up for you after clicking, let me know, I’ll re-do it, thx!

4 Likes