Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Arkansas Traveler

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/arkansas-traveler-mandolin

This is a basic version of an old classic fiddle tune which is, frankly, a necessity…even if you’re foreign to the Ozarks!

2 Likes

wow…the “she’ll be coming round the mountain” lesson seemed like the backup tracks were a little slow. This one, I can’t keep up with the slowest backing track after a couple of days of working on it. I may need to rethink the whole mandolin thing apparently. I am having a hell of a time remembering all of the permutations of the song along with keeping my picking hand correct and keeping up with 140 BPM.

1 Like

Hey @alex, don’t lose hope, buddy! Those backing tracks are not meant to be litmus tests. I encourage you to try the .tef tab files to play along with the tab at a speed that’s needed for your learning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzS9NxVuNbg

4 Likes

Hi Ben

Are the backing tracks half the intro in time as i defo cant get two turn-rounds in like in the preview that you do

Thanks

2 Likes

The music part is , yes.

2 Likes

Thanks for that thought i was going mad

2 Likes

@BanjoBen Thanks so much for posting how to use the .tef files here. This was so helpful. I didn’t have an issue with the backing tracks for She’s Been Coming Round the Mountain, but for this one I had no idea how I was going to follow along. I found 25% speed a perfect place to start. :smiley: -Wendy

4 Likes

Banjo Ben, Could you post the mandolin rhythm for this and other songs. The picking is only a portion of the work and Id like to see the rhythm in video form. Since in a jam setting you might only get one opportunity for the break, but the rhythm is just as important for me to learn the song. The guitar backing track doesnt help me understand how to play the mandolin rhythm part. Thanks, I enjoy being a gold pick member! JIMBO from Texas.

5 Likes

@jbech
Did you try the rhythm/chord lesson just before the song lesson?

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/open-chords-g-c-d-mandolin-beginner?from_track=beginner-mandolin-checklist

Have you gone through all the mandolin rhythm lessons?

Here is a link to the Rhythm lessons course.

https://banjobenclark.com/courses/basic-mandolin-rhythm?from_track=beginner-mandolin-checklist

6 Likes

In the play along track is it ;

Kick Off (one potato :potato: only)
A1, A2
B1, B2
A1, A2
B1, B2
Ending

I’m losing it somewhere at the end of the first run through. I just need the format like above. Thanks so much for help!

1 Like

@Brother_James

Format is AABB (typical fiddle tune) and the tracks go trough it twice.

Not sure what track “play along” refers to.

if you mean play along with the mando on the track where the lead is included, then you have the format correct.
Except: The intro would be two taters (2 strums) taters will “usually” come in 2s & 4s

If you mean the rhythm tracks you can use either 1 or 2 versions of A or B part. Normally Ben will include 2 versions of a part…one easier and one more difficult. This way you can learn the easier one and get through the whole song quicker while still working on the more difficult version.

So, while you have to choose a 1 or 2 to play for a part, they are interchangeable as far as the versions go.

Hope this helps and is understandable. If not, let me know and we can discuss it further.

Dave

3 Likes

Thanks @Fiddle_wood that makes sense. I was referencing the 200bpm Arkansas traveler play along mp3 download. After the intro :potato::potato: and AABB I think I was trying to cram the ending and the :potato::potato: back in the second go around of AABB, haha. Rookie move I guess. :nerd_face:Thanks for the help!:hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Hey guys, can anyone help me out. I am completely new to both the mandolin and banjo but loving the lessons. At what point should I feel good about moving on to the next lesson? Should I be able to play this song as fast as the mp3 tracks for it prior to moving on to the next lesson?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!
When you have the song committed to memory. The speed doesn’t matter as much because it’ll come with practice. Just make sure u continue to play it regularly.

1 Like

Nope, you don’t have to have it up to speed. Memorization is good but I’d also say not necessary. Memorizing does mean that you can put the song on autopilot and work on other things, so I do encourage it. But I encourage you also to press on and you’ll know when you need to slow down…plus, we’re always here :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! love the site! recommending to a lot of friends!

4 Likes

I am a beginner and trying to play Arkansas Traveler with a friend who is also a gold pick member and a beginner.

Why are the chord progressions different for the guitar tab and mandolin tab when they are both in the key of D?

Are the interchangeable?

Thanks!

Kevin

1 Like

@kevinw31969

Can you be more specific on where (what measures) they are different? it’s a bit of time to search through it all.

Dave

I just listened to the fastest rhythm tracks and I believe they are the same

the PDF tab is also the same.

don’t know where you are running into a difference?

2 Likes

Thanks for doing that.

I am looking at chord progression from the mandolin lesson and guitar lesson.
Part A for Mandolin is on top and part A for guitar is on bottom

• G| D |A| A| DG| D| DG| AD
    -G| AD|A| A| DG|AD| G. | AD

Guitar breaks up two measures with AD where mandolin is just D. Mandolin has one measure of DG where Guitar is just G

If playing together should the guitar and mandolin play those parts differently or both play the same thing.

Thanks again.