Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Arkansas Traveler

OK, I see it…you are correct.

Both work and they should be interchangeable,
However you decide to play it, the rhythm section should do it the same thing together I’d think…for cohesiveness.

hope this helps…if not let us know.

Dave

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Yep, you’re right!

Sorry for the confusion, @kevinw31969! There are often variations in fiddle tune chord progressions and I forget which I used in the past. Y’all post a video of playing together!

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

We will work on it and see if we can play it without scarring anyone permanently.

I will see you at camp in April.

2 Likes

Just curious why we are programing our pick hand to downstroke on quarter notes and down up on eighth notes. I’m struggling to break the 35 year habit of sweeping when jumping strings. For instance Pick direction: 5 note measure 5… rather than jumping over the string to do a down stroke, I would follow the up stroke on note 4 with an up stroke on note 5. Is it a timing thing? Down beats are down strokes? Just curious what the pay off is

1 Like

You tricky son of a gun. Downs are numbered beats and “&s” are upstrokes… your making me count out loud!!! Ha ha! Is that the point I am missing? Can’t wait to see what the pick pattern is for triplets…

3 Likes

You got it. It took me QUITE a while to reprogram my brain to do this, but I can honestly say my picking is way more accurate for it. Once you get used to it, picking just seems to make more sense.

4 Likes

Ha! that’s funny, but you’ve got it figured out! Well, until triplets, that is…they can be tricky but we find our way around them and bend a rule here or there.

2 Likes

I am having trouble with the 140 accompaniment track. I know the tab calls for two potatoes but it sounds like the track is doing one. So I am doing one potato but it ends at the end of measure 37. I just can’t seem to match up to the accompaniment track. Help!

1 Like

@anderstammy, welcome to the forum! Yes, the track is doing one potato, which should be two measures long in total. Your kickoff should be ten strums long.

2 Likes

I wish I could hear the rhthym guitar better with the mandolin preview. It just basically repeats throughout but i can’t seem to get in sync.

Hi Joel If you practice with the TEF Files it will help you Lock In to the rhythm guitar and feel the timing. Wear headphones to help you focus during your practice sessions

I can’t seem to download the TEF. It says I need an app to download then when I go the app store it says unavailable.

Hi Joel What type of device are you using to access the lesson ?