Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Amazing Grace- Basic Melody with Charlie Belle

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/amazing-grace-basic-melody-with-charlie-belle-mandolin

Charlie Belle and I teach you the basic melody of Amazing Grace! I taught this to CB last week and she thought it’d make a good lesson for you, too! Grab a mando and learn it with us!

18 Likes

Great lesson. Well done Charlie Belle look forward to seeing you do more lessons with your dad and perhaps playing along with your aunt’s Kate Lou and Penny Lea The Purple Hulls. purplehulls

5 Likes

This is so awesome. Just sent this to my daughter to show her two girls, 8 and 10, to see if they want to learn the mandolin. If they do, I will be busy, :). Great job, Charlie Belle. Dad sure looks proud as can be!

4 Likes

Wow! Fantastic!!!

2 Likes

This was Super! Great job Charlie Bell! And she was singing along while playing, wow :+1::grin:! Looking fwd to the next lesson you two come up with!

4 Likes

Great lesson! Awesome job Charlie Belle!

2 Likes

Excellent job, very well done, Charlie Belle! Keep having fun playing music and learning from the folks around you!

2 Likes

Looks like a star in the making!

5 Likes

Great job. Thanks for sharing Charlie Belle!

2 Likes

Great Job Charlie Belle! So great to see kids learning and appreciating music. I am already starting my 2 year old grandson on the mandolin - strumming for now and he loves that. I figure if Ricky Skaggs and Marty Stuart can play at 3 - why not!
Hey Ben you need to do more lesson - even some you have out currently at all levels - and do them by ear. I find it so much easier to learn and remember than tab.

3 Likes

Thank you Charlie Belle! Inspiring all the way from Canada’s smallest province, Prince Edward Island. Bless you!

2 Likes

Now that’s how you learn to play mandolin, on one of dad’s top end Gibsons!

3 Likes

Your baby is a natural born show woman. And very cute too.

2 Likes

And a little child shall lead them! Hey this is great and CB did an awesome job!! It’s not only for children though as I at 70 and am just now learning the mandolin! I purchased one from your store a while back and what a better way to get started than learning from your sweet and very talented daughter!
Thanks Ben!!
Larry Newberry

3 Likes

Great job you two!! Would love to hear more from Charlie Belle in the future!!

3 Likes

You proved my point about your skills as an awesome supportive parent! Is this the prelude to a special Charlie Belle and Dad page for kids as well as adults? I have to say that I watched this video multiple times just because of the infectious personality of Charlie Belle. Enthusiastic like her dad. Not to mention absolutely adorable. Great playing Charlie Belle!

3 Likes

I think we may be headed that way…perhaps :wink:

3 Likes

U guys look like ur having soooo much fun.

I learned a lot about mandolin I don’t even play it .

Keep the lessons coming

3 Likes

Awesome! :smile:

1 Like

Well done Charlie Belle and papa!
Charlie Belle has got the knack of laughing with dad, smiling, and learning her first amazing song! Thanks for sharing one of her first recitals; we gold member folks will tune in and watch her grow! That soprano mandolin looks huge in front of her; she’ll grow into it and maybe a few other instruments hanging around Banjo Ben. She sure will have a leg up on most of her friends!
I got pleasantly sidetracked with her premiere! I’m off track of Ben’s method some; I have a few dozen choruses and hymns in tab and standard. Simple melodies lines and going through them with Bill M’s “suggested” way of playing them “…like people singing them.” Basic question; I know you’ve covered a LOT. When the notes are quarter notes, I play with a downstroke, eighth notes up and down. As the melody changes between using both, I want to be sure to play the quarters all down and then resume up/down picking for eighth notes, correct? {Im given to play quarters with an alternate upstroke; do I want to focus my practice to follow these music rules for now?}

3 Likes