Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: So You're About to Jam

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/so-youre-about-to-jam-beginner

So, you’re about to jam…or you want to…or you did and you swear you’ll never GO BACK!? If so, let me get you ready for the circle and help you have fun!

7 Likes

Here are links to the recommended resources:

Banjo:

Capo Strategy

Make-a-Break

Waypoints in G

Waypoints in C

Minor Chord Shapes & Drill

Jam Survival with Kristin Benson

Back to Basics with Kristin Benson

Sight Training

Potatoes, Part 1

Potatoes, Part 2

Bag O’ Licks

Guitar:

Capo Strategy

Sight Training

Potatoes

Intro to Improv

Bag O’ Licks

Mandolin:

Sight Training

Doublestop Drill

Basic Rhythm Course

Potatoes

Jamming in G

Jamming in A

Bag O’ Licks

PickAlongs (All Instruments)

Build-a-Breaks (All Instruments)

7 Likes

You took the words right out of my mouth! :wink::smile:

4 Likes

Great… and timely… insights, Ben! And what a treasure you have in that Gallagher guitar. What a beautiful sound!!! I first heard of them on a Doc Watson record… I think it was his duet project with Chet Atkins. “Yeah, this is a Gallagher guitar… made down in Wartrace, Tennessee.” Now, to start plowing through this great list of past lessons!

2 Likes

I am terrified to go to a jam…even to have my banjo with me…or being asked to play…this lesson has been the best for me…I’m going to take it and go over it with a friend who runs the jams…great insight and it takes away alot of the worry about it. Best of all I can prepare to play but not be afraid to make a mistake…thanks Ben

2 Likes

aye2 I’d ticked all these boxes but still I crashed and burned. But I haven’t given up hope.

1 Like

Good stuff Ben. I would also like to add that in Jams where there are many players, the more experienced players sit/stand in the inner circle while the newbies are outside (behind). Mostly, those in the inner circle perform solos - those on the outside play very softly (if at all) and generally are not called out for solos - unless the jam master decides to call them out (head nod thingy)

This is especially true at Bluegrass Festivals where you are walking around and there are literally jams all over the camping ground areas. To join a jam in this setting ALWAYS start outside the inner jam. Never jump into the inner circle ever - you are messing up a jam in session and it is annoying and rude.

1 Like

Great lesson,

I started going to Jams in the Madison WI area sponsored by Southern Wisconsin Bluegrass Association a couple months ago. Scary, but I’ll echo Ben’s comments. People are so helpful and want you to learn and improve. I’m now going twice a week. Still not 100% confident and often my nerves having messing up, but taking it one week at a time.

Dan

1 Like

Ben,

As you said I have been a YouTube student of the Banjo. I have been playing about 4 years and can play cleanly at 90-100. I have held back on going to play at jams because I am not fast enough to engage. No slow jams here. How do I get faster? I am a Lifer of Banjo Ben. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @Eddie_Hamilton Eddie

1. I’d say stop worrying about how fast you play. Just head over to you nearest jam and introduce yourself. Take things from there.
  2. Attend one of @BanjoBen 's Cabin Camps you can be sure of a warm welcome.
1 Like

Eddie

Just go to one! I’ve only been playing 4 months now. I can’t even play clean at home 90 - 100, in groups my nerves can get to me so I’m not at all clean. It’s no problem, everyone understands, even the fast experienced players. I just go in with a slow song and I tell them I’m going to play it slow. Try Amazing Grace for your first one, easy to play the major notes around it and sounds good!

Dan

2 Likes

I’ve always viewed my fear as a phobia or “stage fright.” You stated that it was simple pride. I don’t think I’ve ever heard that before when it comes to being afraid of playing (or messing up) in front of others, but you’re right. It’s been my pride that’s been holding me back. Thank you brother, for bringing this to light and all the other things that you are doing.

~Jeremiah

3 Likes

I recently started going to jams myself and all of this advice is spot on. I was fortunate to stumble across a beginner friendly jam and the jam leader invited newbies to come an hour earlier for basic orientation. A couple of key take-aways from my experience so far: 1) get used to the idea that you are going to be improvising, not playing prepared breaks. This was a key revelation for me. Our jam leader just posted the songs from the last couple of months and over 100 different songs were called with about 20 played each night. Ben’s “build a break” lessons are key. And don’t think that you are going to get to level 2 or 3 in those breaks unless you’re really good (and then you don’t need any of this advice). Just picking out the melody is an accomplishment when you haven’t ever heard the song before. 2) Even when I have a song prepared to “call” and kick off (finally got up the nerve to do this), I’ve learned that it’s never going to go like it does at home and I’ve come to accept this (for now). I get nervous and tight and mess up, but you know what? The song and jam just keeps going and everyone is happy that we’re playing. My goal is to kick off that song a little better next time - that’s all. 3) Finally, learn the lyrics to some songs and try to sing a few verses. No one expects it to be “real” singing - it’s bar singing. Have fun and sometimes other people sing along. And no one really knows the lyrics so just make them up if you have to. My goal is to have 5-10 songs to kick off, some with lyrics that I can sing, and feel like I’m contributing to the jam and just having a good ole’ time with new friends.

2 Likes

What a perfect lesson. I just found a jam group here in So. Cal that meets the 1st and 3rd Mondays at a coffee shop! Really excited to be apart and hangin with Ben and his incredible sisters at Cabin Camps has given me courage to take risks!
Bless you all!
Dean

3 Likes

What a GREAT lesson. Thank you @BanjoBen.

I have recently joined my first Jam and just went to my 4th one. Its been fun and intimidating for sure. But, I’m so glad that I’ve started this journey because it is definitely making me a better banjo player.

My group is pretty advanced group which makes it even more daunting, but they are all so welcoming and helpful. Most of the players have decades of experience with their instruments and I’m just 3 years in. But one must press on and get out of the comfort zone eh?

This week, I tried two new things that I want to pass along…both of them were super helpful:

1. Watch the Guitar player like Ben said. It really did help me know when the chords were changing.

2. I used Strum Machine to get the chords for the songs that I did not know. In fact, usually, the only songs that I do know is when it’s my turn to make the song call. Strum Machine allowed me to get into the song and pick up the melody much faster - cause i can see the chords. After just a couple of times through the song, I no longer needed to look at my phone for the chord progression and was an “un-teathered” jammer!. Of course, one of the “purists” kind of poo-poo’d me for using my phone, but the end game for me was that I could play more songs and have more fun.

JAM-ON!

Jz

2 Likes