Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: PickAlong Cripple Creek

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pick-along-cripple-creek-beginner

Grab your favorite instrument and let’s jam! Don’t forget that you can adjust the speed of the videos by clicking the gear icon!

15 Likes

This takes me back a lot of years. I do recall many long hours of frustration trying to master slides, hammer-ons and pull offs. And trying to get the timing right. banjo Fun practice video

3 Likes

What a cool concept! I bet that was pretty time consuming. I also like the use of numbers instead of chord names. It is a nice way to get folks more used to numbers.

Very nice!

What numbers gif I was so engross by the em gif music.

Bring it home Ben fiddler

I had to go watch again I thought I was nuts when I started it again to make sure… after you have watched the progression on Banjo POV (and I presume the others). instead of showing “A”, “D”, “E” it shows “1”, “4”, “5”.

1 Like

Just tugging your leg @Mike_R

1 Like

You found me out…I’m trying to sneak them in there :wink:

5 Likes

It’s like many things in that you’ll never learn them if you don’t use them. If you do use them, then it is kind of automagic learning. When I did my Christmas guitar groups last fall, I printed up both number charts and named chord charts. I don’t think anyone in the class used the numbered charts for more than just dipping their toes in the water. In the video, by making it transition from names to numbers, it seems like a really good way to “gently force” folks to think in numbers.

2 Likes

that’s the goal!

4 Likes

This is good stuff. There have been several occasions I’ve seen a beginning banjo player make a step change because someone played a steady backup to Cripple Creek. If they messed up, they had to find their place and get back in. Also, playing backup is important and I think the video is a better learning aid than an audio track. AND I’m for numbers.

2 Likes

Okay, I apologize for the stupid question, but I’m a beginner, and I don’t get the numbers in the guitar version. Can you point me in the right direction for your lesson on how to use the numbers.

P.S. I think this is a great idea. All winter, I practice by myself because I don’t have any musicians near me. In the summer, I get to play with some other people, and it always helps me learn, improve, and have fun.

3 Likes

This is great, love it! Can’t wait to see what is next.

2 Likes

Hi Laurie welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. No need to apologise here, we are all learning the same stuff.

Check out this Course on the National Number System

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/the-nashville-number-system-beginner

1 Like

PERFECT!!! Please add more of these in the future! I’m a guitar player & don’t have any locals to “jam” with!o

2 Likes

Fantastic, now I have really good guitar and mandolin players to jam with, and they are right in my own home! Fabulous idea Ben. Thanks for this invaluable resource.

2 Likes

Oooooh, i LOVE this!! Thanks so Much @BanjoBen! This is fun and will really help my improvisation chops…which kinda stink!

1 Like

This was fun. Will look forward to this each month! Haven’t jammed with anyone in over two years now, so this is a great idea!

1 Like

Hi Guy’s I see several posts here requesting more play-along video’s and I have to say I am all for MORE but I sometimes wonder if our demands for more content adds to @BanjoBen’s already busy workload. I know I am as guilty as anyone for submitting requests. But if I know Ben he can’t say NO he’ll find a way to get the job done.

With that in mind if your looking for a specific tune to play along with you might care to check out Tyler Grant at the link below. There is no guarantee you’ll find what your looking for but I am sure you’ll have fun playing along with some of his videos. He has three speed sessions Slow, Medium and Fast find the jam that suits your skill level but every now & then challenge yourself up the speed ladder. Tyler, gives you the key, call out the chord progression and sets the metronome speed. Question is, can you keep up? Have Fun

Just found this POV!
What a great lesson and so much fun.
Haven’t found any jams here in Delaware so far, so this is great.
Thanks
Bob

1 Like

Truly great stuff! :+1:

Thought I understood the idea behind chords inversions somewhat to make up baseline from one of the lessons, and now this another one to help improvise, thanks!

P.S. I think it is the camo that brought the smile in Ben’s face, what do y’all think?