Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: PickAlong Cripple Creek

This is great. A very welcome addition to the site. Looking forward to more lessons in this series!

Wow! This is great! Now we can sharpen our jam skills. Can’t wait for more of these!!
Thanks Ben!

Cool stuf…and a great idea… would appreciate if there would be a chordsheet with chords and numbers for download to each song… how ever … cool lesson and I look forward on feature lessons like this! Greets

@Banjojoe, I believe the idea of this particular lesson is to take one away from tab dependency to force him/her to play by ear. However, there is chords and numbers on the video itself to ensure one is not completely lost.

This is great idea. I am a beginner on Mandolin and have been so busy focusing in on and trying to learn the tablature note for note that I forgot all about one of the mandolins most important jobs and that is providing rhythm through the chop chords, etc. This will give me a chance to play through some chord changes and get a better handle on the mandolin chords and changes. It will be a big help to my improving my ability (when the time comes) to play along with others plus it’ll be fun.

Y’all are really understanding the concept, yes! I want this experience to be the most real-life experience you can have, in the comfort of your setting. @Banjojoe, I understand your request, but part of what I’m doing is encouraging you to learn by ear. Thank you!

4 Likes

Perfect idea BanjoBen, what a blessing to have a jam session that doesn’t care what level I am at and will even slow down for me! The band accepts me at the level I am at over and over and I don’t have to worry about ruining their experience! It kind of reminds me of how God allows me to be apart of His plans no matter what level I am at or how inept I am at catching on.

4 Likes

I summarize: it’s just perfect! Thank you Ben!

2 Likes

The pick a longs will be helpful!

3 Likes

I’ve replaced the POV videos with new ones that have some text captions to help.

5 Likes

Ah this takes me back to when I was beginner. Messing around with an early bootleg version of Band-in-a-Box.

Much prefer @BanjoBen 's version :heavy_check_mark:

1 Like

This is really, really good stuff! My greatest improvements happen when I am playing along with jam tracks. As invaluable as the TEF files are, they are no replacement for jamming along with real instruments. I also appreciate the helpful tips added during the song. I am thoroughly enjoying the direction that Banjo Ben is taking with his latest videos! :grin:

2 Likes

Pushing using the ear and “hearing” chord progressions in a “jamming” setting will really help folks along. Hopefully you will be able to put the classics out there to play along with now that specific “teaching” is not involved.

1 Like

Actually the name and performance of the melody is copyrighted, but I’m working on some things!

5 Likes

This pick-along lesson is awesome! Looking forward to more! It has really boosted my confidence!

1 Like

This is amazing! So much fun.

2 Likes

Much more fun seeing you back on the forum @Deano1 What you been up togif

1 Like

Good googly boogly, I’m just getting a hang of Cripple Creek in G and while this looked really fun I have no idea what it happening up the neck there when you’re just sorta pinching along. I love the idea of jamming and have started thinking about it. After watching this, which is great by the way I’m sure for some, I realize I have another few years before I’m ready. Welp better get plucking I guess.

3 Likes

Few years? More like a few weeks, or days! Have you watched my backup videos? https://banjobenclark.com/courses/basic-banjo-backup

3 Likes

@Archie Nice to hear from you! I’m just a Pickin and grinning trying to keep up with brother Ben! I’m hoping to make one of his camps in the near future. I’ll try and post more.
Take care,
Dean

2 Likes