Discuss the Guitar lesson: Shady Grove

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/shady-grove-guitar-intermediate

This is a Doc-style guitar solo for Shady Grove in D minor. However, we’re going to strip it down to the basic melody first, then add some hammer-ons before we dive into Doc’s version.

I haven’t picked up a guitar seriously in years because I don’t really have anyone to jam with and not everyone is into flat and finger picking. I accidently ran across the Shady Grove lesson and it must have been a divine hand or just dumb Google luck that got me there as I was searching for content in one of the college courses I teach and had nothing to do with flatpicking.

I’m just getting started with the 7 day trial an hope to make the most of learning Shady Grove. I’m signed up and unlocked the Shady Grove course. I clicked the ‘Download’ button and about 10 items seemed to download, but I cannot find them. I’m using a Mac and files usually go to my ‘Downloads’ folder. The Jam Track .mp3s and tab files worked OK, but I’m not sure what was downloaded and where. Apparently this can only be done once.

I really like what you are doing and I think I can learn some and hope to play with this over the weekend.

Can you tell me what was downloaded and to where. I’m using a Macintosh.

Thank you - Rich

Hey Rich! Glad to have you on the site, friend. First of all, you’ll have streaming access to this tune even after your trial is over. Second, the download allows the video files to be stored to your browser’s cache file for offline use, but not to your computer’s hard drive (downloads folder, etc.). Some browsers allow this and some don’t, and I’ll be posting some clarification on this in the near future.

When (not if!) you learn this, record a video and put a link here or in the forum! Keep pickin’.

Thanks Ben I have a lot of holiday time coming up and plan working on “Shady Grove”. I did put a new set of D’Addarios on and am making progress.

Thank you for the downloaded files explanation. I teach Network Security and downloading files then not finding files always raises the small hairs. Not a problem with acoustic devices.

Doc Watson’s “Tucker’s Barn” is another great, but not often heard, favorite. I’ll get my arms around “Shady Grove” first.

Thanks for keeping the music alive.