Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Old Joe Clark- Basic Melody

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/old-joe-clark-basic-melody-guitar-beginner

This is a great intro to flatpicking, the shuffle pick pattern, and the use of a capo!

12 Likes

Looks like just what I need- a bluegrass standard. Well done. Thanks @BanjoBen!

5 Likes

Old Ben Clark, Old Ben Clark, He had a log cabin. Two stories high. Every story was filled with chicken pie.

4 Likes

Hey Ben, great class, I am just a newbie here but on the TEF file for Old Joe Clark, why is there an E note on measures 5 and 13 rather than a D? (on the rhythm part) everything else makes sense to me and I am working on it trying to build my speed at this point, your G chord is new to me also but it’s starting to feel natural. Thanks

3 Likes

Great question! The E note is not technically in a G chord and the D note would be fine, but that’s a rhythm variation I often play when I’m going to a D chord in the next measure. It helps lead the ear there and creates some diversity in the bass notes. Thanks!

5 Likes

This lesson was perfect for me to teach my younger brother (13). We’re going to Galax this August and he wants to compete in the youth guitar contest, and he asked me to find him some basic tab to start working on a song. I couldn’t find anything simple enough for him untiI I found this. He is really excited about it!

11 Likes

He is 13?? Will the lessons be challenging enough for him in another 2 years?? I doubt! :slight_smile:

3 Likes