Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Common Major Chords

I always play a C chord like that. I love playing the alternating pick/strum pattern with that low G in the C chord, as opposed to the higher open 3rd string G.

4 Likes

Hey Eric! Welcome to the board!

Yup, that’s practically the only way I strum a C. An exception that comes to mind is when finger picking and I need my pinky for other strings.

3 Likes

I usually fret both with my third cuz I use my pinky for other things usually. When alternate bass strumming you can just move the finger also

3 Likes

Hi All! This is my first Banjo Ben Forum post. I’m a newbie at EVERYTHING guitar. To introduce myself: Hi, my name is Phil and I’m struggling with chords, Specifically my issues are with my fingers stretching to reach the appropriate strings, scrunching up to touch only the appropriate strings (hello A chord), barring strings, and pretty much everything. Does anyone have any advice on ways to improve this as quickly as possible? Also, have any of you utilized any type of “pocket guitar” for chord practice that feels like the real thing, but doesn’t require the real thing for times when I can’t have a guitar on my lap (i.e. at my desk, in the car, etc.)? Thank you!

4 Likes

Hey Phil welcome aboard. I am by no means a guitar expert but I do enjoy playing rythm guitar so I know exactly what you are talking about. I know this is going to sound really cliche but the thing that helped me the most was playing the hound out of that old Yamaha (aka practice). The more I messed with her the better I got (still not perfect). Its just all about getting the feel for it. The most important thing is to have fun and don’t give up this time investment really pays for itself in the future. Hope this helps. :wolf:

1 Like

Welcome, @phil4liberty! If your chords are not sounding cleanly, there’s a good chance that your hand position is off. The best way to diagnose the cause of the problem is to post a short video in the Video Swap category so @BanjoBen and others can give you advice.

-Michael

1 Like

Neighbor, the best way is come to my house and play some guitar with me! Haha!

4 Likes

Thank you for the thoughts… will do. Practice makes permanent and need to toughen up my computer keyboard fingers anyway.

2 Likes

Thank you Michael… I haven’t tried that yet but will keep it in mind.

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan!!! :smile:

3 Likes

One thing I have found that helps to learn your chords faster is to implement a metronome and practice changing from chord to chord. Even if some of the strings are getting muted, you will work that out in time. Just use the metronome and speed it up by 5 beats per minutes when you feel comfortable at the previous speed.

4 Likes

Hi, this is my first post and I am also a newbie to Banjo Ben. I play several other instruments (piano, flute, ukulele (a little), some percussion) well and have a degree in music. Already I have found that these lessons have filled in many gaps for me. I love learning with these lessons. You have a gift for instilling joy in playing Ben! Keep up the good work.
I had a strong desire about 4 years ago to pick up guitar. I have tried over the past 30 years to play, hoping my very petite hands would grow, but that hasn’t happened. Because of a cyst on a tendon in my left wrist, it was excessively painful for me to play back then. God has since healed me and I’ve been slowly working to build dexterity & strength in my fingers, having conquered the A & E major chord progressions (B7 major chord, not B). I am glad I have found enjoyment in it. I also was given a 3/4 student guitar which has helped quite a bit. The smaller distance around the neck has helped me attain proficiency in the A & E chord progression.
Now that I’ve started these lessons, I want to try to master the other chords so I don’t have to rely on a capo. I still find the F chord and B chord that you showed in the lessons quite a feat to master and a bit painful for my wrist. Would there be any stretches or exercises I could use to help the dexterity of my fingers and wrist so it’s not quite so painful? The cyst created similar symptoms to carpal tunnel problems, if that is helpful to your advice.
Thanks in advance! I appreciate all you are doing to help us learn to spread the joy of music with others. ~Debbie

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum, Deborah!

Thanks JohnM. It was sweet of you to welcome me.

1 Like

Hi Deborah!
It might have nothing to do with your wrist or finger issues, but “Tendon Glides” have been super helpful for me in overcoming some finger tendon issues. I find they are a good warm up for playing as well. Here’s a video that shows how to do them… the tendon glides start at 1:13 in.

2 Likes

Hey and welcome! I’m sure there are, but I’m not an expert there and I don’t feel confident giving you specific exercises beyond the common hand/wrist exercises you may find online. I’m proud of the progress you’ve made and hope it continues! I’m honored to have you on board and thank you so much for the kind words. The F chord is a tough one, yes, and it’s in the “top 6” chords to know to play bluegrass. The B7 will suffice for most any need for B in bluegrass.

1 Like

For the F chord, why do bluegrass guitarists tend to just bar the first two strings? Is it for speed or is there another reason?

That’s always how the F is played. It’s not just bluegrass. It’s the best way to fret it.

1 Like

One more bad habit I’m going to have to unlearn somehow!

1 Like

You can do it! I remember first learning the barred F chord and thinking it was the hardest thing I’d ever tried to do on the guitar. But then it all of a sudden gets easy. And there’s no better time to fix a bad habit than now, before it gets more cemented.

3 Likes