Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Common Major Chords

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/common-major-chords-guitar-beginner

You’ve heard that money is what makes the world go round? That’s wrong. Chords. Chords are what make the world go round.

3 Likes

Ben, Just curious, of the different fingering styles of placement, which ones are used more than others? Also, does the Genre of the music tend to dictate which fingers are used in placing the chords as well?

4 Likes

To my knowledge, there aren’t any rules for this. I will say that bluegrass pickers tend to like to play out of the G position more than other players, so you’ll see a capo on a bluegrass guitar more often than other genres.

4 Likes

How do you feel about playing a C chord with the added G on the low string? That is, third finger is placed on the 3rd fret, sixth string, and the fourth finger is on the 3rd fret fifth string? I find that gives the C chord a richer sound, and still can be changed quickly if to add other C variations.

5 Likes

Yeah, I love it and will do it quite often, especially when I’m ending on a C chord.

4 Likes

I always play a C chord like that. I love playing the alternating pick/strum pattern with that low G in the C chord, as opposed to the higher open 3rd string G.

3 Likes

Hey Eric! Welcome to the board!

Yup, that’s practically the only way I strum a C. An exception that comes to mind is when finger picking and I need my pinky for other strings.

3 Likes

I usually fret both with my third cuz I use my pinky for other things usually. When alternate bass strumming you can just move the finger also

2 Likes