Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Blackberry Blossom- Melody Solo

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/blackberry-blossom-melody-solo-guitar

This is a straight-ahead melody arrangement built for speed, and I personally use it for a warm-up and speed builder. We’ll drive home the melody to establish a foundation to improvise upon!

1 Like

Arkansas Traveler brought me here! This fun song reinforces the D position–much needed help since my comfort zone is the first 3 frets. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s not just me, right? There’s a syncopation in the second section of the A part, right?

1 Like

I would call this “playing it straight.” (Tef file of this song is in a swing/shuffle rhythm.) What I think you are hearing is the held F# over the D chord passage. That adds interest and tickles the ear (I missed that–you’ve got a good ear! I was just focusing on getting the notes and speed.) Syncopation is a stress on the off-beat, like putting a quarter note on the “and” part of the beat. It really stands out on songs like “Walking in Jerusalem.” Sing, “I WANT to be ready” and you’ll hear syncopation.

Good call, Aroth! That’s exactly what was happening. I went back and rewatched it. Because he doesn’t pick up his ring finger there it totally keeps the tone alive, fooling me into hearing syncopation. You get points for that sleuthing work!

1 Like

I was trying to figure out how to finger the Em licks in part B. Back to the video and it turns out to be a pinky strengthing excercise. Being new to picking, it seems you can’t learn the techniques until you go back to the video for the fine details. Thanks.

I think I’ve been leaning my guitar back a little trying to see the left hand. It seems @BanjoBen always has his guitar straight up. Just another detail.

1 Like

I was using my ring finger to do the bend (index on e, string 4), but noticed BBen using middle, and pinky for the bend. Any advantage to playing it that way?

2 Likes

Hello @s_robare22, check out the part B video. At about :30 seconds in, Ben explains the finger strategy for part B. I found this helpful but at the end of the day, make it your own. I often have to change up things so I can play it.

This has been a great tune for me to hone finger and pick accuracy. Good Luck :four_leaf_clover: .

1 Like

In the last 30 seconds of the rhythm lesson I had to let out a big old ‘Hot Damn’. This may be the first intermediate lesson I tackle. Love the challenges it presents and the rewards that will, no doubt, be reaped.

3 Likes

Woohoo, that makes me excited, @jonny1!

1 Like

I really enjoyed the rhythm lesson and got a lot from it. Thank you.

1 Like

I worked on a solo version of blackberry blossom many years ago. I really like Bens version, especially the change in sound just by swapping the A and B notes etc that happen in the second A part in other words it goes g a b g f# g a f# in the first measure of 1st A part then the first measure of the second A part is g b a g f# g a f#. It sounds so cool and is a nice swap of how it sounds.

1 Like

What does the little 1/4 mean for the bend on measure 27 I assume its for the choke/ bend

1 Like

Your right, that would be a choke. Technically that would mean to bend it up a quarter of a note. I normally just give a quick sharp bend and release. Its meant more for just a slight tone change than and actual bend when you change a lot more tone. Hope that dosen’t confuse you.

2 Likes

Hey Ben, cant seem to download the pdf for this song… the other songs i have purchased download fine!

Weird, ok. It just downloaded for me just fine. I’ll message it to you. But also try to refresh your browser page.

1 Like

Worked fine for me James.

Hey Archie, managed to work after a browser reset. Cheers!

2 Likes

2ThumbsUpapplaud

Hey Ben. Is there notation in tablature to indicate if the music in meant to be swung? Or if you’re at a jam or something, what exactly are you listening for or thinking about to decide if you will play your solos with a swing or not. I know once the tempo hits a certain speed, straight is kind of the only option. Thanks!

2 Likes