Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Belle's Hornpipe- Guitar

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/belles-hornpipe-guitar-guitar-intermediate

This is the first fiddle tune to write after moving to Texas! I named it after my oldest, Charlie Belle, because the melody came to me after hanging out with her. I love playing out of the D position on guitar!

9 Likes

Mandolin lesson will come next week! Also @Michael_Mark and I chatted today about some kind of contest idea with this tune for best banjo break :slight_smile: Just a heads up! :wink:

4 Likes

Wow, Ben. That is beautiful. That tune made me long for spring time. And it’s pretty exciting to see new content now coming out of Texas.

5 Likes

Thanks! It’s exciting for me to create here! I’m definitely feeling more inspired and excited for the future!

6 Likes

Sounds beautiful! A welcome addition to the bag of pipe tunes! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is my new favorite song. I love that B part.

4 Likes

Really nice work! Beautiful, catchy melody… and now Charlie Belle won’t feel left out. Been over a year since you wrote Ellie’s Hornpipe.

5 Likes

Crockett patiently waiting for his hornpipe

11 Likes

He got a bicycle for his birthday, he’s good.

8 Likes

Man, I don’t know what it is but I just really like Hornpipes! Excitedly awaitin’ next week’s Mando Lesson - from the Lone Star State!

5 Likes

It’s the timing @WillCoop it has a lilt

3 Likes

This one is next on my list to learn! Me (age 16) and 2 of my sisters (ages 13 and 15 I think :joy:) are really enjoying your site, Banjo Ben. I’m learning guitar, one of my sisters is learning mandolin, and one of my other sisters is learning banjo. Thanks for helping us learn!
-Jonathan

5 Likes

I love this @KayMay! You’re so welcome!

2 Likes

Hi @FellKidPickers Jonathan, Rebekah & Makayla welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Hope you guy’s have fun learning.

2 Likes

I love this melody! The A part works well for single-string banjo. Add two to each tabbed note on the 1st string and you can play the guitar tab on banjo. For example, in measure 56, play 5 - 4- 2 on 1st string instead of 3 - 2 - 0 and end the measure with barred A chord.

4 Likes

There are also melodic possibilities, of course!

2 Likes

How do you make that Bmin chord?

1 Like

Take the A minor chord, play it with your last 3 fingers, then move it up two frets and barre with your index behind it…it takes some getting used to!

4 Likes

Ok, I’ll try that once. Thanks!

3 Likes

Tried it. Yes it does take getting used to!

3 Likes