Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Are You Washed in the Blood Fingerstyle

Funny you should mention set up. I’m learning Washed In the Blood on my brand new Martin D-18, the first Martin I’ve ever owned. :heart: (It’s one of my bucket list guitars and I wanted to inaugurate it by learning an authentic American Gospel fingerstyle piece.) That said, the action at the nut might be a tad too high, as I found it’s easier to get through measures 12-13 on my Yamaha LS16R (a wider neck with a slightly more rounded profile). Go figure!

That’s really common, especially on Martins. Martin is known for being THE guitar for bluegrass backup chords, and a lot of people bang the heck out of their strings. Under those circumstances, an action that’s too low will cause the strings to buzz, so Martin leaves the action higher than what I’d choose for myself.

If the nut slots could use some filing down, it’s almost a guarantee you can have the bridge lowered, too. Doing so will probably make your new baby even more enjoyable to play. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a link to an easy way to check nut action:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

I used to check and set nut height by measuring with feelers, but I find the above method to be both easier and more effective.

3 Likes

Well I checked using the Ford method and it looks like I can have the slots deepened a bit. In the meantime, I’m working with the Yamaha and thank you for the advice!

2 Likes

Nut action makes a significant difference in the feel. Just a few thousandths can make a world of difference.

Great arrangement Ben! Not as easy as one would think! This is a great lesson and asks a great question! Are you washed in the blood? I am so grateful for God’s grace and imputed righteousness. In that while we were sinners, Christ died for us!
Blessings always,
Dean

2 Likes

D-18 nice!

Thanks! Yep, a bit harder than it sounds initially. Amen!

Very beautiful arrangement for a beautiful hymn! Feel like keep on listening to it… :smile:

1 Like

Well, I for one, am glad you called this one “advanced”. I’m working through some of the tougher parts, that are somewhat familiar, just fine. I keep going back to “Silent Night in D” categorized as"intermediate" and still working the pulls and pushes; just when the tension is released, the next two come right on top of you in the ending! I’ve messed with my Larrivee action and ended up tuning down a full step and then capoing back up two for a lower action. Hope to have both pieces ready for Christmas! Excellent job on both arrangements.

1 Like

Keep me posted, buddy!

Absolutely loved learning this tune fingerstyle; but being a banjo picker, I used fingerpicks. It took me 72 attempts to get it close. (Google ‘Campbell Clan picks on an old Hymn’ ). This really had a Chet Atkins feel to it. On another topic, if I knew I could just use a thumbpick like Chet did, I’d try to lose the fingerpicks and just do the single-string picking using a banjo thumb-pick and bare first finger for songs traditionally requiring a Flatpick, leaving the index,middle and ring fingers “pick-less”. This is also what Tommy Emmanual does. I’d like to get Banjo Ben’s opinion on alternate string picking using a Banjo thumb-pick only to allow moving from this style to alternating string (up & down picking), like Chet and Tommy, thus expanding versatility perhaps; Hint, Hint :wink:

1 Like

Y’all check out @campbellneilh pickin’ this one! Great job, Neil!

8 Likes

That was great Neil! You guys are ready for some public performances!

2 Likes

Great job you guy’s I am gonna try and see if I can pick along on my banjo with ya’ll

1 Like

This is a tough one, he managed it, Great!

2 Likes

This is a REALLY tough one. I don’t care to remember how many takes it took me to record it.

3 Likes

Hey Ben, this admission of yours makes me feel encouraged to try even more on this song as I had shelved it long ago after quite a number of tries. Maybe this is the most beautiful of your finger-style song arrangements. As all the other songs that I attempted were at least complete-able in reasonable time for more practice later to improve upon the accuracy and speed. I even managed Irish Washerwoman in terms of speed, tempo, fingering etc except only for the picking accuracy to avoid hitting other stings along. Little bit of nervousness comes while recording, also I touch guitar only on weekends to show good accuracy, so holding off on recording and sharing songs I have learnt. :wink:

2 Likes

this one is great…great challenge. not too hard…just right. love the big key change to G. Last lick is killer too!!!

1 Like

Please do more fingerpicking songs Ben, love them.

4 Likes