Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Are You Washed in the Blood Fingerstyle

Well, I for one, am glad you called this one “advanced”. I’m working through some of the tougher parts, that are somewhat familiar, just fine. I keep going back to “Silent Night in D” categorized as"intermediate" and still working the pulls and pushes; just when the tension is released, the next two come right on top of you in the ending! I’ve messed with my Larrivee action and ended up tuning down a full step and then capoing back up two for a lower action. Hope to have both pieces ready for Christmas! Excellent job on both arrangements.

1 Like

Keep me posted, buddy!

Absolutely loved learning this tune fingerstyle; but being a banjo picker, I used fingerpicks. It took me 72 attempts to get it close. (Google ‘Campbell Clan picks on an old Hymn’ ). This really had a Chet Atkins feel to it. On another topic, if I knew I could just use a thumbpick like Chet did, I’d try to lose the fingerpicks and just do the single-string picking using a banjo thumb-pick and bare first finger for songs traditionally requiring a Flatpick, leaving the index,middle and ring fingers “pick-less”. This is also what Tommy Emmanual does. I’d like to get Banjo Ben’s opinion on alternate string picking using a Banjo thumb-pick only to allow moving from this style to alternating string (up & down picking), like Chet and Tommy, thus expanding versatility perhaps; Hint, Hint :wink:

1 Like

Y’all check out @campbellneilh pickin’ this one! Great job, Neil!

8 Likes

That was great Neil! You guys are ready for some public performances!

2 Likes

Great job you guy’s I am gonna try and see if I can pick along on my banjo with ya’ll

1 Like

This is a tough one, he managed it, Great!

2 Likes

This is a REALLY tough one. I don’t care to remember how many takes it took me to record it.

3 Likes

Hey Ben, this admission of yours makes me feel encouraged to try even more on this song as I had shelved it long ago after quite a number of tries. Maybe this is the most beautiful of your finger-style song arrangements. As all the other songs that I attempted were at least complete-able in reasonable time for more practice later to improve upon the accuracy and speed. I even managed Irish Washerwoman in terms of speed, tempo, fingering etc except only for the picking accuracy to avoid hitting other stings along. Little bit of nervousness comes while recording, also I touch guitar only on weekends to show good accuracy, so holding off on recording and sharing songs I have learnt. :wink:

2 Likes

this one is great…great challenge. not too hard…just right. love the big key change to G. Last lick is killer too!!!

1 Like

Please do more fingerpicking songs Ben, love them.

4 Likes

Hello Dawson. I give this song credit for getting me hooked on Fingerstyle guitar. One powerful aspect of Fingerstyle as you probably know, is that you can sound like your own band (multiple voicings). It’s also amazingly versatile (Bluegrass, R&B, Classical, Jazz, Rock & Roll, etc…) BBClark also has some great lesson breakdowns (new). Maybe you’ve seen them. Happy picking!!

2 Likes

Will do! I have more than a lot of people realize when they go to the guitar page and click on the figerstyle collection.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this lesson @BanjoBen. I really love this song and I love fingerstyle! :joy:

4 Likes

Love this song. Been working on it (again) second try. Might get it this time, not much of a finger picker. Yet. Thanks for the help Ben.

1 Like

Finally got through this one to the end. Not exactly note for note but good enough for my satisfaction. This is a great arrangement and it felt like I was trying to climb Mount Everest at times trying to learn it. lol . I sure wish we had Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, and Jerry Reed style playing back on TV.
Ben, hats off to ya on this one man. This is a buster to get through consistently, but sure does sounds good… MMMM mmmm!!

5 Likes