Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Alternating Thumb Fingerstyle- Lesson #1

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/alternating-thumb-fingerstyle-lesson-1-guitar-intermediate

Are you serious about learning fingerstyle guitar? Like, really serious? Then you’re at the right place. This is the first lesson in an entire course on alternating thumb fingerstyle guitar (think Merle & Chet). No matter your experience, start at the beginning and let’s lay down some solid technique, then take the final exam to see how you’re doing!

21 Likes

This looks really good! There have been multiple folks asking for this.

I love the punch line to the ending lick!

4 Likes

Awesome! Thumbpicking has literally changed my life, and it can change yours too, so y’all go learn this lesson, I want to be hearing some Chet/Merle in the vid swap…

7 Likes

Sounds Great!! Makes me want to learn Fingerstye

6 Likes

I think this is going to help me change my finger style technique to learn it in a more efficient style. Thanks Ben!

5 Likes

Thought I heard what we call up in the Northern Michigan woods as a white-tail “Buck snort” somewhere in the ‘Final’ tape. :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Thanks Banjo Ben! This is well put together. Got through most of the lesson tonight. Definitely helpful. I’ve always wanted to learn fingerstyle now I’m doing it!

6 Likes

That’s awesome!
Welcome to the forum Chad!

4 Likes

Two weeks ago, while listening to old Flatt & Scruggs radio shows on internet radio, I heard Earl play The Georgia Buck fingerpicking guitar and it’s on repeat in my head. This is amazing. Will it be okay to use my banjo picks?

6 Likes

Yep, in the introduction and overview video I address picks.

4 Likes

That’s great, you can do it!

3 Likes

Thanks for the great introductory fingerpicking lesson. I can’t wait to see where this series goes. I went through a Leo Kottke phase when I was younger. I tried to play some of it… badly. This series should unlock the mysteries by laying the foundation.

4 Likes

This is great! The fingerstyle lessons have been some of my favorite guitar lessons to work at…
Looking forward to this course and learning some fundamentals…

4 Likes

Thanks so much for doing this course. I have played several of your finger style arraignments, but I’m really interested in learning to make the music!

4 Likes

Hello John. I too agree that using banjo-picks is OK for guitar. I used them originally as being a banjo-picker as it felt more natural to me. That ‘bell-tone’ release sound of a banjo-pick is hard to beat. Over the last year, however, I’ve settled into using only a thumb-pick and bare-fingers, but I’ve grown my fingernails out to use a combination flesh & nail attack on the strings which I feel sounds almost like using fingerpicks and I find (at least for me) it requires substantially less force than flesh-only for a given volume. That said, I think flesh-only gives a more ‘jazzy’ or ‘smoky’ sound. In the end, it probably depends on what sound you’re after.

Fingernail disclaimer: Although I find picking flesh & nail produces a pleasing sound; Picking with nails comes with a cost. I find that I spend a little time maintaining my fingernail profile (shape). Banjo picks obviously do not require such maintenance. Happy Picking!

3 Likes

This looks great! I also want @BanjoBen to do a whole lesson just on smacking the bottom of the guitar to play the right chord. :rofl:

5 Likes

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I’ve been looking for this kind of instruction for a long time now. Others who play this style “break it down” but without the detailed video and instruction. Thank you. Working on this now. Super excited.

4 Likes

I absolutely LOVED this lesson! I’ve been wanting to learn this all my life, but haven’t. Thanks, Ben!

4 Likes

Thanks so much, @bensmith

3 Likes

Great to hear, @mamafrat-dispose!

3 Likes