Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Alternating Thumb Fingerstyle- Lesson #1

I started playing finger style twenty-five years ago, mainly Travis style. I loved that style so much that most of what I play is acoustic finger style. I wish this lesson would have existed back when I first learned. It took nearly two weeks of hammering the muscle memory into my hands to get the coordination of the picking pattern to smooth out. Once I got over that hurdle it was on to learning how to play “Freight Train”.

3 Likes

I only use flesh and nail for my guitar finger picking. After extended picking sessions I find that the tips of my nails wear thin and eventually break off. It’s all a part of finger style playing. I just couldn’t ever get comfortable with picks on my fingertips even though I use them for my banjo picking.

2 Likes

Fun lesson.

Ben, are you planning on doing follow-on lessons? Finally something I can do with great ease. :slight_smile: All those years playing classical guitar and lute were good for something.

3 Likes

Hello Dan. Ditto for me on the nail trouble. What solved my problem with my fingernails was Ping-Pong Balls. Yes, you heard right. I read that Chet Atkins used Ping-Pong balls super-glued to underneath his nails for a repair. Well lo and behold, on the internet, you can find all sorts of instruction on how to perform this job. I find it makes my nails about 300% stonger and provides an ablative surface to greatly reduce wear. I guess it’s a common technique for classical guitar players also. That said, it’s probably not for everyone :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I have lots of knowledge of basic fingerpicking but am really enjoying this lesson. I can’t wait for the more advanced stuff. Great job!

2 Likes

strong text*Thanks for this lesson I have tried before but never had the basics laid out so well. I will never be great at it but I believe I can draw some good attention to my playing if I apply myself . I will have to use the amp to get it to sound better because my hearing has about left me, I have hearing aids but it is not the same, I still hear it good enough though .

1 Like

Nice beginning. Now how about some elementary tabs for tunes expanding on what you’ve taught?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Tommy! I believe that is the intention, but it’ll be a week or two before they start coming out