Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Whiskey Before Breakfast- D Tuning

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/whiskey-before-breakfast-d-tuning-banjo-intermediate

Let’s get a little crazy, yet not inebriated, of course. We’ll go to D Tuning for this one! I want to send a HUGE thank you to Gold Pick member @Mark_Rocka who submitted this arrangement! Great job, Mark!

5 Likes

I absolutely love this arrangement by @Mark_Rocka and fine tuning by @BanjoBen of Whisky Before Breakfast. I’ve been playing it for a few days and can’t get it out of my head. It’s the best version of this tune I’ve ever heard. Oh Mark Mark Mark. I’ve teased him already and told him that for me it’s like that It’s a Small World song at Disney World. It’s gonna drive me nuts I swear. Way to go Mark, good on ya buddy.

Listen up all y’all, learn this one and enjoy it. It is so so so fun to play.

2 Likes

Aww man! I read dtuning and heard dtuners. Only slightly disappointing, though. Great arrangement!

1 Like

So happy to see this! My band has done this tune at several shows, and I’m ashamed to say I just roll through standard chords because I can’t dial in the 19th fret version. Thanks Mark for initiating it and thanks Ben for another lesson that will be used to entertain the nearly one dozen fans at our next show.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Finally a version that is attainable. This is a godsend.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to play this! Thank you! And very nice ending!

This tuning is the same as Ruby/Reuben too isn’t it?

1 Like

Mark… dude!!! Nice job!

3 Likes

Yes, sure is!

1 Like

Great arrangement @Mark_Rocka I love D tuning, It’s been a long while since I played a tune in D tuning so I’m really looking forward to getting into this lesson. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

After watching all the way thru, the B part looks like a nice thumb dexterity exercise too! :+1:

1 Like

Wow… Congrats to @Mark_Rocka!

@BanjoBen - RESPECT to you for taking and using a fellow member’s version… and the alternate tuning is your “icing on the Cake!”

Fantastic sound - AWESOME VERSION!

Can’t wait to sink my teeth into this one!

2 Likes

Love this arrangement! Thanks for the fun alternate tuning!

2 Likes

WOW! Another door opening!!! thank you to Mark and Ben!
At the risk of embarassing myself, WHEN DID THE SPEED ADJUSTMENT (the gear in lower right corner) come along? Don’t tell me it’s always been there! haha!!! That is wonderful!
Thanks so much, Ben and team!

2 Likes

Been there at least since the new site launched. You’ll hear Ben mention it in his lesson videos now and then. :slight_smile: Mighty handy tool!

2 Likes

I believe that’s basically a youtube feature so as long as the video is published/played via youtube, you can adjust the speed like that.

1 Like

It’s also a feature on the Vimeo Player which is what Ben uses.

1 Like

Love it. Awesome banjo also. Enjoying using alternate tunings.

1 Like

How would you play backup to this D tuning? Would you still play the regular D, G and A chords with the same fingerings we do out of G?

1 Like

The chord fingerings for open D tuning are different than open G. Check this out.

http://www.acousticmusictv.com/html/Banjo%20Pages/BanjoChords5DTuning.html

5 Likes

Thanks Mark

1 Like