Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Whiskey Before Breakfast- D Tuning

Thanks @Mark_Rocka that’s a handy table

1 Like

I started this and it’s still a work in progress, you can use it or modify it if you like. It’s a mix of rolling backup, champing, kept some licks from the original, stole some stuff from other things, etc. I deleted the kickoff and ending, this is just the A and B parts. I want to fit it to one page on the .pdf.

WhiskeyBeforeBreakfastBackup.tef (4.0 KB)
WhiskeyBeforeBreakfastBackup.pdf (265.8 KB)

6 Likes

Thanks Maggie

1 Like

I love it @Maggie :heart:

Saved to my Backup Study Folder.

1 Like

Great Backup submission by MissMagie. But does anyone just vamp with D-tuning? If so, how would that work…just with barre chords or with the chords listed in the charts?

3 Likes

Check out the link I posted 6 replies above yours. I think that might be what you’re looking for.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll give that a shot.

1 Like

I am just learning Whisky Before Breakfast and am at the beginner leaning to intermediate level. I don’t understand the timing on the back up track. I am starting at the slowest level (120) and I always have more track left by the time I get to the end of the song, even if I play the A and B part twice. Are you supposed to play them twice? I have not had this problem with other songs so I don’t know what I am doing wrong.

2 Likes

Hi @rolandlk Larry so I haven’t worked on this lesson yet but looking quickly at the TAB I see a long intro and a long ending. So I am thinking you need to play the intro the 2 x A parts and 2 x B Parts then repeat the 2 x A parts and 2 x B parts and you have that long ending. Try that and see if it fits Hopefully Ben will get back to you soon with a definitive reply

1 Like

The rhythm track runs 3 times through the song, with an intro at the beginning and a tag at the end. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Mark, I think 3 times thru did the trick! Now that I understand how fast I need to play it, I realize I need to work on it a little more until I am ready for even the slowest track. Thanks for the help.

3 Likes

Love this! Great arrangement and easy to learn!

2 Likes

So after a quick revisit to Jim Britton’s Pro Picker Case Study to review Jim’s licks since I already learned the solo. I thought I would crack on and learn this lesson today. To achieve my goal of completing the Intermediate Section before the end of January and before @BanjoBen adds more lessons. This is a personal mile marker for me. wonky

I kinda looked at this lesson when Ben first posted it three years ago and had intended to work on it back then but I was working on something else and then I though, You know what I have already learned Alan Munde’s arrangement in the key of D in standard G tuning and I am sure learned a simple version by Geoff Hohwald. I’ll just leave this. Well I wished now that I had come to this sooner. It is a great arrangement in D tuning. The B parts and ending are particularly challenging but are fun to work on. If you have only played in standard G tuning give this lesson a try. I bet like me you’ll love the deep tone…

2 Likes

Hi. This is a song that comes up often in jams. If I learn this arrangement, how do I go about playing it without retuning frantically while everyone starts playing?

2 Likes

Great question @ambergkeith Keith. You could fit a set of D Tuners or bring along a second banjo. Returning to D takes a while. But with a set of D tuners you can tune to D and switch easily to standard G by flipping the G and the B strings.

1 Like

You do get faster at tuning, but I would normally play this one in a standard tuning if in a jam setting. I need to do a C position version of this, capo 2!

2 Likes

So, how do I do backup with this if it’s played in a jam? Is there an easy trick to it?

1 Like

Hi Keith Personally I would just vamp through the chords D A G. If you get lost fall back on the D chord.

2 Likes

So, with it tuned like this, open is D. So just barring the 5th fret will give me G, right? 7th will give me A?

1 Like

Oh, I see Mark’s reply above too, thanks.