Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Silent Night- Beginner Version

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/silent-night-beginner-version-banjo-beginner

Not much of a Silent Night when banjos are involved! Let’s play a beginner version in the key of C!

5 Likes

You can find the other banjo version here: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/silent-night-banjo

3 Likes

Dang it. My set list just got bumped… again. :upside_down_face:

Jumping on this…

4 Likes

It’s a great lesson to work through @JohnnyD you should also check out this too

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/o-holy-night-banjo

2 Likes

This version looks like it has some fun stuff to play around with. I like the pinches. Easy enough and slow so I can pick it up easily but some nice challenges too.

1 Like

Oh! I hadn’t realised you had posted a NEW arrangement of Silent Night in C @BanjoBen when I posted my earlier reply to @JohnnyD

This sounds great and a much simpler arrangement than the one you posted 7 years ago in G which I love.

If you are looking for suggestions for other traditional Christmas hymns & carols you may care to check out a couple of my childhood favourites. Not sure if they would fit the banjo but I feel sure they would work well for guitar and mandolin.

Once in Royal David’s City
In the Bleak Midwinter
Hark the Herald Angels Sing

2 Likes

I’d love a longer backing track! Like 3-4 times through, Maybe i’m missing that somewhere. Love this easy arrangement.

1 Like

Hi @BanjoBen Measure 12 walk down. The second pinch sounds off to my ear. I much prefer the sound of the open second string.

Love this! Thanks for making it easy :blush:

I used Strum Machine for the longer backing track. Are you familiar with it?

Here’s my stab at Silent Night in G. Maybe someone with more experience can suggest which path to take. I was thinking of the modulation from C to G. Would that sound better, or perhaps G to C?

5 Likes

Great job on this, @JohnnyD!

I would do the C version first because it’s simpler, then I’d play a D7 then go into the G version here.

2 Likes

hey ben! do you think you could do a lesson on i’ll fly away?

2 Likes

Hi @mightymanarchery Charles welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. As you are new here you won’t know that Ben doesn’t do lesson’s on material that is still in copyright, he needs to protect his livelihood. I’ll Fly Away is still in copyright. However the good news is there are other teachers out there that have covered this tune. Check the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i'll+fly+away+banjo+lesson

Hey @mightymanarchery, I’m not able to teach a lesson without the licenses but I can upload the tab here on the forum…you can find it here: Banjo Tab for I'll Fly Away

2 Likes

thanks!

I’m so new everything hurts my brain but I love it. I’m half way through or a bit more with memorizing this then just ad some speed and proper timing. That partial F is cool sounding and I don’t recall using it in the beginner track so far so that was new as was starting with the 2nd finger winding up a string. All good skills to practice and I’m seeing little bit by little bit how the skills or techniques start to build on each other. Thanks Ben for doing an easy one like this for the new guys at it gives our families something different to suffer through that is at least seasonal! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, I have a technical question. Enjoying learning the song a lot. I am having issue picking the second string with my 1 finger on the inside roll on the 8th measure. I have picked that string with that finger thousands of times, if not more. But, as far as I know, never as part of an inside roll. Is it normal to have trouble with it? I know that solution is to practice it over and over to get muscle memory. Just wondering if this is a common issue.

Hi Peter, So in Measure 8 the roll starts not with the Index finger but the Middle finger. Pick the second string with the Middle Finger. The G string with the Index Finger and the D string with the Thumb

Pause the video and just practice the inside roll over and over. Play it slow, what you need to do is educate the brain to do something it’s not familiar with.

I would add it’s not any more difficult than measure 7 which uses the same picking sequence just on slightly different strings

@Archie Thanks. I may have not made myself clear. I am not having an issue with the first string picked, it is the the last string picked with the index finger. My index finger is just having a hard time finding the string despite the fact that I have played that string with the index finger thousands of time. I have been doing as you suggested,just practicing the roll over and over again. I am sure that I will get it.

Regards

I am confused the last string (the 4th string ) is picked with the thumb if you look below the notes in the TAB you’ll see @BanjoBen has typed the numbers 21T meaning 2=Middle 1=Index T=Thumb on strings 2 3 4

I remember back to when first started playing banjo. I could never seem to hit the right string in the right order on any roll pattern then all of a sudden I was doing it. Fast forward five years and I was working on a lesson with Alan Munde and he introduced me to the inside roll. I was lost, I just could not grasp the concept, it took me the best part of a year to get it down pat. Trust me you’ll get it if you put in the practice. That said, don’t let it frustrate you. A little practice each day.