Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Peaches & Cream: An Alan Munde Tribute Lesson

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/peaches-cream-an-alan-munde-tribute-lesson-banjo-advanced

It’s no secret–I’m a huge Alan Munde fan, and this song is one of my favorite banjo tunes of all time! Grab a buddy and work up the harmony banjo for this jovial melody!

12 Likes

This is a great lesson @BanjoBen I see/hear several differences to the version I learned from Alan’s DVD and hand written TAB.

3 Likes

I too am a huge Alan Munde fan. I took a picture of the Banjo Sandwich album cover for my picture thing. I purchased the Mel Bay song book and started working on this a month ago. Thanks for covering the harmony part.

1 Like

Yes! I’ve been waiting for this one. Gonna have to put the stock market learning on hold for a while.

Thanks Ben!

3 Likes

Oh Come All Ye Faithful has just been beat as the hardest song on the site. IMHO. Thanks Ben for this wonderful lesson!! Such a great tune and some real good workouts. This song is definetly good to help me learn to play outside of the box which i have a problem with in the key of C. Also a lot of really good licks. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

Great shirt Ben. Good pickin’ too!

I love this tune. I keep listening to this over and over. And the Twanger sounds incredible. It records really well.

Now just wait one pickin’ second. You can’t just go twinning one of your twin sisters like that. Hard enough to remember who is named what as it is. But nice job on that video edit.

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you for doing this one!

This lesson is no joke… but it’s also probably been my favorite thus far to tackle on the site. It seems this took some time even for Master Ben himself. Thank you sir!

5 Likes

Hi David I can attest to the fact that this arrangement is advanced level banjo.

2 Likes

Another awesome lesson. This one in particular I’m certain, will be popular for years to come. I’m going crazy trying to find time to practice everything! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I am unable to download the PDF tabs for this. I get the following message “This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.” (followed by some XML). I am able to download PDFs of other lessons without issues.

1 Like

Try refreshing your page, please. They work fine for me. Thanks!

1 Like

Sometimes I forget how important integration time is. I worked on this song off and on all day yesterday. I wouldn’t be surprised if I spent 6 hours or more on it, and I just felt like I was getting nowhere. I hung the banjo up around 10pm and went to bed. This morning I sat down and started playing nearly perfectly at 100% speed. I had to check my settings to make sure it wasn’t still slowed down.

Just a reminder to myself that if I’m struggling, and especially if I’m getting frustrated, take a break. Let the old gray matter process and integrate what the muscles have been doing.

If you play banjo at any level other than intro, you owe it to yourself to try this lesson, at least the A part. And if not to yourself, you owe it to Ben. You can tell he worked his tail off bringing this one together.

5 Likes

@Mark_Rocka I was exactly the same when I worked on Alan 's original video and hand written TAB. In my case it was closer to six years than six hours. But in the end I did exactly what you did I put it away for a spell and when I returned to it, it all began to come together. You can imagine my excitement when I got done recording it in July 2019. It’s such a great tune and I am glad to see @BanjoBen has added it to his list of great lessons. As students we soon get tired of playing Cripple Creek and FMB over and over again. It’s great when a new piece comes along to challenge us. Look forward to seeing your recording.

I have just gone through a long spell of inactivity after receiving some bad news. I have not been able to focus on my playing since before Christmas every time I tried to learn something new I just lost interest. Just over a week ago I started revisiting tunes I hadn’t played in years and after a few hours what I learned all those years ago is flooding back.

7 Likes

@Mark_Rocka, @Archie You all are so right! I had the same experience with P&C and also Alan’s version of Bill Cheatham.

6 Likes

I gave P&C thirty days. Some days were 15 minutes and other days an hour or more. I couldn’t get the intonation or feel for the tune until I memorized part A. At first the single string runs were easy so I skipped ahead and tackled the finger twisters. At about 140 bpm I realized how bad my single string technique was. I did a work around of the “hard part “ but since The lesson I’m adopting Ben’s tab for that section.

I spent time with the chords and even playing guitar backup. P&C has broadened my banjo… I looked over the harmony part and will lay that one back for a while.

Alan Munde has been an inspiration for me since the 70’s. Notice my picture thing.

@BanjoBen Lesson Idea. Put together some single string licks specifically for teaching single string technique.

6 Likes

Yes…have to try and tackle that harmony part soon!

5 Likes

At first, i thought P&C was gonna be the hardest lesson on the site but…I was suprised to get both the A and the B parts up to speed nearly flawlessly withing 5 days or so. Much shorter than O Come all Ye Faithful.

4 Likes