Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Intro to Banjo Backup

Hi @Michael_Mark Right I forgot Ben uses the X and Y positions to describe the chord shape positions My Bad. Other teachers when talking about the X & Y usually refer to the hand position on the picking hand and that’s what I pictured when I read the post. It’s been a long time since I reviewed this video,

That being that case I would suggest @wmcgonagle Bill take a look at my earlier reply to @Bryanwatts444 on this page where I describe in some detail how to switch between the two chord shapes. Again It would help Ben if he could see what the problem is and advise accordingly.

2 Likes

I consider feedback a gift, thank you both Archie and Michael_Mark for responding.

@Archie, I’ve been follow your suggestion in your reply to @bryanwatts444 for a couple months… but the ring finger comes off the 4th string when I swap my two fingers to move from the Y to the X :disappointed:. I think a video would be a good idea. I’ll try to post one later this week.

Blessings,
Bill McGonagle

2 Likes

Hey Bill! Welcome to the board. I’ve seen the problem you describe when players aren’t holding the neck properly. The back of the neck should rest in the webbing between your thumb and index fingers.

Take a look at Ben’s hand in this video at 1:20 and make sure your hand looks exactly like that. Additionally, you could post a picture, or even better, a video of your playing and we may be able to identify a problem you can work on.

2 Likes

Hi Bill. Does this happen when you are static or moving up and down the neck ?

If it’s happening when you are static try this exercise. Just put down the ring finger on the 4th string. ( keep the pink floating) and try switching your index & middle fingers. Keep all your focus on holding down that ring finger on the 4th string.

1 Like

I am a bit confused. I watched part 2 where the Y position is taught. Then moved onto part 3. And, in this video Ben discusses all the things that were done with the Y position such as playing She will be coming around the Mountain When She Comes. None of that was in Part 2. What am I
missing?

super helpful! thank you.

2 Likes