Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Intro to Banjo Backup

Thanks for the link. It was good to hear what other students think about the site.
Best,
Brooks

3 Likes

Great to have you, @brooks_jackson! Let us know if we can help you with anything!

4 Likes

Thanks Ben… will do

Hey folks maybe a dumb question…
I notice when playing these chord exercises that my banjo’s 5th drones naturally.
Is the 5th string drone normal for all banjos?
I’m pretty sure I’m hearing it on Ben’s videos as well

1 Like

Hi @brooks_jackson Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Yes it’s quite normal for the 5th string to drone whilst playing chords. You will find as you become more proficient that the open 1st string will act as a drone too particularly when playing a partial D chord.

1 Like

takes getting used to hearing that drone…
being a guitar player 1st, I’m used to palm muting unwanted noises…
Thanks for the reply sir!
Brooks

2 Likes

Hi Brooks,

Welcome to the Forum, I hope you’ll find it and us useful. Happy to have you and feel free to chime in and ask questions.

3 Likes

getting a great vibe from everyone here so far…
Thanks MissMaggie

2 Likes

Hi @brooks_jackson Earl Scruggs and other banjo pickers are known to have damped the 5th string at times with the fleshy part of the thumb on some tunes. But for the most part they let it ring out. It’s a skill you will learn to acquire as time goes on.

3 Likes

Be encouraged, it means your banjo is in tune :rofl:

5 Likes

Great suggestion Archie… I actually thought about that thumb flesh technique.
Another little issue I’m battling is getting a clean note fretting on the 5th where a spike resides.
I posted some recent practice on my insta page https://www.instagram.com/evilbanjo/
where i’m working on a melodic bela riff that features one of these notes. A banjo buddy in Denver told me to fret in front of the spike but my fat fingers don’t quite fit in there but it’s getting better all the time! (can’t get no worse) lol
I love the banjo and the challenges that exist in making it sound lovely…
PS - there’s a pic on on my insta of my two banjos for those who might like to see them.
(Huber Lexington (Maple) & an OME Bright Angel (Walnut)
Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Brooks If you mean hooking the thumb over the 5th String that is challenging. Couple of tips to help you get a clean note. Don’t grip the neck tightly, Don’t squeeze the thumb tightly against the 5th String and the Fret. Wait till your just about ready to pick the string before fretting with the thumb and release just as quickly. Try to keep your fretting hand kinda loose If other strings are not in use don’t fret them, this will allow you to angle your wrist better and help you get a cleaner note. Experiment and find out which position works best for you. I have short fat fingers and a short thumb and I don’t always play it clean. Lot of patience, perseverance and practice is required in learning to play banjo.

I don’t use Instagram so can’t see your videos. Pictures look good.

2 Likes

Argghhh…can’t believe I missed out on saying that…:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

You’re not alone Brian, I have exactly the same problem with ring finger floating around on its own. I am doing the isolation exercises prescribed here and realize I just have to teach that finger who is boss. I was lazy about this for too long, relying on 3 finger chords up the neck. A shortcut that is way too limiting. Good luck.

1 Like

So I’m already stymied on Part 2 of this lesson. How do you develop such an iron claw to be able to slide that solid y chord position up and down the neck without your fingers slipping off the strings? I imagine my grip just needs to get stronger. Other than just going up and down the neck repeatedly, is there a strengthening technique? Thanks!

Hi Bryan. There is no iron clad grip involved, quite the opposite in fact , sure the shape is retained but the fingers are quite relaxed. This may on the face of things seem difficult but in reality its fairly easy to slide up and down the neck once you know how.

Looking closely at that Y shape ( I call it the F chord shape) with the ring finger and pinkie on the two outer strings. I call these two strings ‘rails’ Take all the pressure off the strings whilst retaining contact with the strings slide the shape up the neck focusing on the positions of the ring finger and pinkie and using the rails to help guide you to stay on the track. This does take a bit of practice to master more so landing accurately at the C, D and back on the G locations. The secret is to take it slowly. check each finger position when you take off and land at each new location whist you memorise each location. With daily practice within a week or two you’ll have it nailed.

In the following lesson you’ll be taught how to make the X shape (I call this the D chord position) Here is a tip that will help you easily swap between the Y and X shapes.

Make the Y shape anywhere on the neck. For this ‘exercise’ it doesn’t matter where on the neck you do this just where you feel most comfortable.

Ok with the Y shape on the finger board look closely at the positions of the index and middle fingers. Keeping the Ring Finger and Pinkie firmly on the rails swap the positions of the index and middle fingers you are now in the X shape. It’s that easy.

Most students find the Y shape easy to make but struggle with the X shape. But if you make the Y shape first then practice flipping the index and middle fingers as I have explained you find it so much easier to learn the X shape (D chord shape) and later when you learn to slide up and down the neck moving between the Y & X shapes becomes second nature.

Remember if at any time your struggling to do something go back and review the lesson as many times as you need. Good luck

5 Likes

Thanks very much Archie! I feel like it’s already a bit easier as I relax my grip a bit. I’m excited to keep practicing this using your tips.

2 Likes

I struggle moving from Y to X position because when I lift my middle finger my ring finger moves with it. After a few months of practice using the suggestions here I’v not seen any improvement. Any tips on how help these two fingers to move independently of each other?

1 Like

Hi Bill welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum.

Not really sure I understand why you need to lift your middle finger and I am not surprised that your ring finger moves with it since both fingers are attached to your hand.

As an exercise place your ring finger and your pinkie on the head of the banjo near the bridge but not touching and strings - keeping both fingers on the head slide your hand forward towards the fingerboard and back again towards the bridge, if that feels comfortable you should have no real problem moving between the x & y positions.

The placement of the fingers on the head is to help support your hand as you pick the strings. If you can’t place both fingers try placing either the pinkie or the ring finger although I think you’ll get more support with the ring finger down. If you watch Ben’s hands on any of his videos you will see the right hand is relaxed and slightly cupped. That is the position your should be aiming for.

It would help a lot if you posted a video to let Ben see your difficulties and advise your further.

2 Likes

@Archie I think he’s talking about X and Y vamping chord positions.

It would probably be best to practice moving the chord shapes using just the ring and pinky fingers, which stay the same in X and Y position, then add in the switching of the index and middle fingers.

It might help to not think of it as lifting any fingers, but rather just making a switch and kind of “gliding” between chord positions. And of course, the most sure way is to do it extremely slow (as slow as you need to go to do it without any problems) and gradually increase the speed.

2 Likes