Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: How to Play Banjo Hammer-Ons

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/how-to-play-banjo-hammer-ons-banjo

You don’t have to be a carpenter to be proficient at hammer-ons…let me show you every which way they can be done.

3 Likes

wow-those hammer ons take some stretching. …also some care in not muting the surrounding strings, when playing the target notes/rolls
I’ve never tried the multiple fret hammer ons. I’m sure they’ll get easier with practice-like everything else!

2 Likes

Yes! Remember this is an exercise that is designed to “stretch” you and cause you to approach hammer-ons from many different angles. Stay with it!

2 Likes

Hallo Ben,

I have a question about lifting the indexfinger, when doing the hammer on while hitting the targetnote.

Is it better to keep fretting with the indexfinger, while doing the hammer on with the ringfinger?

thx
Ralf

1 Like

You know, that is a great question and I’m going to say yes, at least at first, to keep the first finger down as I think it builds strength and independence.

1 Like

Trying but these old nubby fingers don’t like hammer ons. Especially 2 frets apart. Slides yes, hammer ons, no. The ole pinky doesn’t hardly work anyhow. But I’ll keep tying.

2 Likes

Hi Carl, Hammer s and pull off’s are tough exercises to learn from scratch you just got to take it slow and persevere.

Check out this video of Dennis Caplinger, he is a big guy but still manages to push the envelope

1 Like

Banjo Ben or Archie - I am a guy of 57 years with little boy fingers. Are there any exercises I can do to stretch and strengthen my fingers when I don’t have my banjo in my hand (say at work)?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @timwessley13 Tim welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. No exercises I am aware of. Hammer-ons and pull off’s are quite difficult to master as a beginner. All I can suggest is practice practice and more practice. There are no short cuts I’m afraid.

Welcome Tim!

Don’t worry, that won’t hinder you too terribly bad :wink:

2 Likes

There are, yep! I wouldn’t do anything drastic to stretch, but the strength is important. A Theraband squeeze ball is helpful as well as these: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/daddario-varigrip-hand-exerciser

2 Likes

Great for trumpet players too

1 Like

Thanks Banjo Ben. I just ordered one from your General Store. See you at the Camp on May 15th.
Tim

2 Likes

Hi Ben, what is the purpose of playing the target note at the same time as the hammer on? Why even hammer on if you can hardly hear the same note you will pick as you do in measure 11 & 12? I have no issues doing it, just seems like wasted energy if the target note you pick will drown out the hammer.

1 Like

Hey @Deacon_John in my experience that little something extra can make a break or backup that much better. Even if it is just a faint something, although 2-4 ham ons can be tough at first, with practice stretched ham ons can be made stronger and more noticeable. Happy picking :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Okay… I tell you, the full step hammer ons are really hard for me… I can not get my fingers to stretch that far… not sure if there is anything I can do to fix that.

2 Likes

The more you play the more your hands will stretch. Time and practice are the key. I wouldn’t let this stop you from progressing through more lessons though. Just incorporate whole steps into your warm up time or dedicate a little section of time to it for awhile. If you haven’t already check out this lesson.

1 Like

Like @Lone_Wolf says, there is a sound you are making and it will become more noticeable to your ear as you progress. Plus, I’m not only teaching you licks/notes, but concepts and skills. You will use this very same movement at other times when the target note is a different note. Trust the process :wink: Good job! Sorry for the delay, have been out of town. If you’re having trouble with the whole step hammer, post a little video of your left hand and let me have a look at it…it could very well be a technique issue.

2 Likes

Thanks Ben. It’s starting to easier to do, and when we do it with the 16th note, it makes even more sense. I have this screwed up brain where I always want to know the “why”… it’s just my nature.

3 Likes

I have been focusing on this lesson for a couple of weeks now (not to the exclusion of everything else!) and I have to say, I am so enjoying the challenges it presents - from hitting the hammer ons cleanly to avoiding muting neighbouring strings. I can see my progress and am looking forward to using the hammers in my tunes.
Thanks @BanjoBen.
Happy Easter!

5 Likes