Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Higher Ground- Banjo Lesson

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/higher-ground-banjo-lesson-banjo-intermediate

We’re pressing on the upward way, new frets we’re reaching every day! Who else knows and loves this ol’ melody? Let’s learn a great bluegrass break on banjo!

11 Likes

Brilliant Lesson @BanjoBen

3 Likes

The tablature that downloads for the Melody Banjo is different than what Banjo Ben is playing and it differs from the tab that is scrolling beneath Banjo Ben’s video. Can we submit a request to have the lab technicians in the banjo lab give those of us who purchased the lesson the same tab in pdf? I could put it in Guitar Pro8 but I purchased the lesson to save myself the time. More time fer pickin’!

1 Like

Hi @bthmusic1 Bryan welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum

As regards the Banjo TAB there are in fact three Banjo TABs with this lesson. In the tef files the Banjo Solo has a the solo as you would expect with a Guitar rhythm TAB

In the Harmony TAB Tef File it has Melody & Harmony TABs and a Guitar rhythm TAB

There are three PDF files Solo, Melody & Harmony so everything you need to learn this lesson is right there. Guitar and Mandolin lessons will follow in a few weeks.

The reasoning behind the Melody & Harmony TAB is for banjo duets banjo banjo

1 Like

Archie, I don’t think you understand. I downloaded all of the tabs. I opened the Melody Banjo tab and then went to Banjo Ben’s video that accompanies the Melody Banjo part of the song. On the video of Ben playing the Melody part there is a tab that scrolls along the bottom of the screen. It corresponds perfectly to what Ben is playing however, the pdf of the Melody banjo part that you download with the lesson isn’t the same as what Ben is playing. I’m not confused about the existence of a harmony banjo part. I downloaded that tab as well. Perhaps I’ll just reach out to the web site to see if they can make the correction. This forum is probably more for people to trade tips on the playing and practicing. Banjo is a wonderful addiction!

If you click on this tab, it will match the solo I teach in this lesson

13%20PM

2 Likes

Hi Bryan I don’t think you understand. The lesson is split in two, Verse & Chorus, Ben is working off the Solo TAB which is right there on the page below the video. The Harmony & Melody TAB is a bonus should you wish to play along with another banjo player.

1 Like

Yep, two different solos. I know it’s confusing, sorry! The tab labeled “solo” is for the one I play at the start of the performance video. The very last solo in the song is a harmony banjo solo and I included tabs for that, will be teaching it in a banjo harmony lesson later. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks Ben, I love when you teach us these great old hymns.

1 Like

Thank you, Ben. Your answer helped me find what I was looking for. Thanks for the wealth of information in tabs and video with this lesson. What a great value! I’ve always enjoyed your site for the variety of well taught bluegrass standards. Thanks again for helping me find the tab that corresponds with your video.

1 Like

And keeping it classy.

Hi

Please when ur quoting scripture, would be nice to see ithe chapter and verse on the screen so we can look it up.

Hi @smillerlawyer Susan. I never quote Scripture my knowledge of the Bible is somewhat lacking and those well versed in the topic would rip me to shreds if I attempted any quotes - If you are referring to my earlier posts in this thread everything I said is available in @BanjoBen 's Lesson at the head of this conversation. If you missed it let me repost it below for you convenience.

Thanks, great request! Will do!

I have a question, this lesson is taught in 4/4 time.
The hymn is written in 3/4 so is this lesson intended only for solo purposes? I was going to try and play along with my wife who plays piano from the hymnal.

1 Like

Correct, yes this is just my bluegrass arrangement for it.

Thanks Ben, this is a great arrangement I appreciate it.

1 Like

Thanks, Ben! I love this old hymn. The really great thing is that if you slow it down a tad, it becomes ‘Banks of the Ohio.’ It makes you wonder if ‘Willie’ was plotting murder while singing hymns in church or if hymn writer, Johnson Olatman, was inspired to write a hymn, while singing a murder ballads at a hoot-nanny.

1 Like

Did you happen to ever teach a full lesson on the melody and harmony solos that you provided tab for on this page?

I don’t think I did!