Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Gettin' Up the Neck With Blackberry Blossom!

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/gettin-up-the-neck-with-blackberry-blossom-banjo

Gettin’ up the banjo neck can be a scary thing. Trust me, it’s gonna okay. Let me make it fun for you! I want you to somewhat “turn off” your brain for this one. Yes, you’ll need to memorize where to put your fingers, but then I want you to just play it and play it and play it again! It’ll pay off. Again, just trust me :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Telepathic or what? Just started working on the DTN intermediate lesson this week which I have to say I have been avoiding for years. Turns out it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. This UTN lesson is just perfect timing. Thanks @BanjoBen

6 Likes

Now I know why I needed to pay attention during the backup lessons. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

@BanjoBen,

Truly, you are the Bach o’Banjo (or Bach o’Bluegrass for those of us who play other instruments) and the BEST Bluegrass instruction available!

Thank you for being such as inspiration to help us learn through “excercises” that don’t just sound fantastic but are so much fun to play.

@BanjoBen’s effective instructional formula:
Inspired lessons + entertaining presentation + meaningful musical insights (answering the ‘Why am I learning this?’) = Joyful Practice

Joyful Practice + unnoticed (because lessons are fun to play, sound great w/ great Tabs/beat tracks) and continual repetition = Musical Progress!

Musical Progress + More Difficult Lessons = Musical Confidence!

Musical Confidence + Collaboration = Enriching Lives through Music

Then, the magic really happens… so once more, Hats off to @BanjoBen for another gem!

Can’t wait to learn this one…

6 Likes

@WillCoop, are you reading some management books lately?? just curious… :wink:

5 Likes

PMP… Lol

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am a bit confused by the BPM. I have not purchased the song. But I plan to because I love all of the variations of chords. Love the song too. But when I look at the MP3s shown on the MPs, the show the performance speed at 200 BPM. It is not reaaly vital. But, i am timing it more like 100 BPM 4/4. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance for your instructions and comments.

5 Likes

Hey there @twilde5, welcome to the forum! The reason the lesson page says 200 BPM while it seems like 100 BPM to you is because @BanjoBen doesn’t list the BPM in cut time, so 200 on the lesson page is actually 100.

4 Likes

@Michael_Mark is correct. There are 200 quarter beats per minute at that speed. Cut time would be 100, which is actually what I “think” in and used to post on the site, but I had many folks question that so I changed to actual beats per minute.

4 Likes

Thanks to both you and Michael_Mark so much. To be honest, i am trying to be less academic about the whole thing. But, you have helped me understand what was always a source of confusion for me. I love it! Ordering the song now.

5 Likes

Awesome lesson, @BanjoBen. Another 75-100 watchings and I’ll have it down! :slight_smile: BPM aside, it dovetails nicely with the Alan Munde “Fretboard Geography” course I am poring over currently.

I’ll be fluent by Camp!

6 Likes

I thought the same thing about complimenting “Fretboard Geography” too, @Michael.

I suspect we aren’t the only ones who noticed the parallels.

Personally, I have made some strides… In Mando Shapes… But it still isn’t truly unlocked or intuitive for me yet. :pensive:… Which is another reason why I am thankful for the lesson.

5 Likes

After quite a few takes :joy: I managed it and still practising and enjoying this. :wink:

14 Likes

Nice playing Jono, This is a great lesson and teaches much about up the neck cords and memorizing cords so they can be played in different position. Thanks for posting vid.

6 Likes

Wow Ben. What an amazing challenge. Love the song and your instruction is really challenging to hit everything clearly. Thank You for what you do.

6 Likes

This lesson has shown me how weak my left hand is. And lazy. I never realized how important my pinky was - until now. Its gonna take a workout. I am grateful for the challenge. And I REALLY appreciate the tip on speed and buzzed frets. I will be working on the tracks - or a metronome. I’m shooting for about 100 BPM (with clean notes) now. GREAT lesson! Thanks so much!!!

5 Likes

I’ve been working on backup in general and reviewing fretboard geography. Perfect timing for this lesson.

5 Likes

I’ve got the chords down pretty good now(Not as fast as you, Ben) but all of a sudden I’m having a Terrible time making those 3 string pinches. They sound awful. I’ve been doing them fine before and all of sudden, I can’t get them all at the same time.

Frustrated Dave

4 Likes

@dallen

Might try posting a video of you attempting them that Ben could look at.

5 Likes