Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Cripple Creek– Slides

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/cripple-creek-slides-banjo

Let’s put those newly-learned slides to practice with a fun version of Cripple Creek!

Should we try to play this perfectly before moving on to the next lesson and what speed should we try to achieve?

1 Like

I’d rather have it slow and perfect. There is no particular target speed. More importantly, be able to play through it with no hesitations or big stumbles and begin to feel like you “own” it.

1 Like

Joe, that is one of the best lessons for learning banjo basics, it introduces you to slides, hammer on’s, pull/push offs, pinches and some great roll patterns which you will use again and again as your experience grows…

Cripple creek is the first song I learned how to play. However, I learned it from YouTube lessons and not Tab and not with a Metronome. So, although I can play all the notes, it sounds different than others that learned to play it in correct timing. So, even though I know how to do slides, hammer-ons, and pull-offs, I am going to go through these lessons slowly until I can play them in correct time and flawlessly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Ben, 64 year old total banjo newbie here. Already appreciating the great lessons! Thanks.! Sure I’ll be upgrading soon. One curiosity/academic question. Why are the main slides (3rd string) in Cripple Creek shown as 2nd to 3rd fret in some versions, and 2nd to 4th fret in others. Earl’s book shows 2 to 4, but I swear it looks like 2 to 3 in videos I’ve seen of him. Maybe it’s so fast I can’t really tell. But, in any case, is one “right”, “preferred”? Thanks again.

2 Likes

Hey @sbreed! Welcome to the forum!
When doing slides in Cripple Creek (or any other song) Earl and most professionals will actually slide from 2-3 and then bend the string upward to reach closer to the B note. I find this video from Russ Carson (banjo player for Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder) helpful at explaining it:

-Michael
4 Likes

Awesome! Got it. Thanks very much.

1 Like

Hi @sbreed Steve Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum This is a topic that has been debated by countless banjo players over time. Both slides are good I prefer to play the 2-4 on the Cripple Creek lick I just think it sounds better and that’s the key to most things we do on the banjo. If it sounds good it must be GOOD.

I should add that Earl did not use TAB. Bill Keith wrote the TAB in the Original Edition of the Book I don’t know who wrote the TABs for the second edition. What I can tell you is there are typographical errors in both sets of TABs. So if your working from Earls book keep that in mind when learning a tune and learn to adapt and make changes in order to make it sound good.

Now for the good news, all of @BanjoBen 's TAB are 100% accurate but Ben won’t mind if you change things round, in fact he actively encourages his students to mix things up a little once they have a firm grasp of the fundamentals.

2 Likes

Thanks, Archie!, for all the great background and history. Sorry if this is a repeat post. Must say I like the sound of 2->4 better as well. Just takes me a millisecond longer right now. ;^)

1 Like

Hi Steve, Not so much a repeat post here, but it is a topic that banjo players frequently ask over on the Banjo Hangout and Banjo Holler. It’s great that you ask questions that’s how we all learn. So don’t be afraid to ask. We are a friendly crowd here and always happy to help when we can.

2 Likes

Ben uses the middle finger when sliding from 2-4. Is it ok to use the ring finger for that? My middle finger wants to mute the B string and I tend to make less mistakes with the ring finger. I don’t want to start a bad habit. Maybe I just need to whip that middle finger in to shape.

3 Likes

Hi Brent. There’a a good reason @BanjoBen uses his middle finger to slide from 2-4 as will become more apparent later on as you gain more experience. Using your ring finger would be considered a bad habit . For now the muting of the B string suggests your hand position is not correctly placed. If you post a video of the problem Ben will be able to advise you how to correct this.

3 Likes

Yep, whip it into shape, my friend! You’ll much more often need your ring and index to do the slides than your ring, though the ring is definitely used!

2 Likes

Dead-on Archie. This is in no small part, why I invested in a life-time Gold Pick Membership. Archie, would you happen to know what program gets the nod for good tab-writing software? BB Clark’s looks just so perfect. I write mine mostly by hand while composing because it’s faster while holding an instrument, but to make final copies and share with folks on the Forum for example, would be nice to print a better Tab.

1 Like

I use TablEdit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzS9NxVuNbg

2 Likes

Wow. I had to watch that twice! This might really help; and for only $59 for a lifetime subscription. Not bad! I guess I’m spending WAY too much time practicing and not exploring this website enough. THANKS!!!

1 Like

Hi Neil, TablEdit is the best TAB tool.

2 Likes

Hi everyone ! Loving these lessons, thank you. Could someone help me use the backing track? Do you play until measure 17 and then start again directely at measure 1, as if it were measure 18?
Thanks

Hey there, François. If I remember correctly, the backing track repeat 3 times. So yes, it keeps going. Happy picking and welcome to the Forum.

3 Likes