Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Cripple Creek– Slides

Hey Brent,
Thanks for you answer!
I found that what works best is to replace the last beat of measure 17 with the last bit of measure 1 for the first two loops and then keep on going. I then only play the last beat of measure 17 on the 3rd loop!

2 Likes

Still getting used to playing the lesson along with the guitar track. I have played guitar for years, but the timing of the banjo throws me for a loop! Thank God for the TEF file.

4 Likes

Hey Ben, I’m absolutely new to banjo beginning last October. Played sax and clarinet years ago but never a string instrument. I became a gold member in February. Love your site and I’m thrilled with my membership. Great investment! I’m coming along well with the progression of your Beginner Lessons, but I’m a little confused with the tab for Cripple Creek Slides and why it shows a D chord in measures 5, 9, 13 and 17. Is that really meant to be there? I don’t see that jiving with the tab?

3 Likes

Hi Tom & welcome to the Forum.

Yes, the D chord goes in those places.

Note: all the notes played under that chord are in the D scale…

1 Like

Thanks Fiddle_Wood. But the 3rd eight note in measure 5 is the same as the last quarter note in the preceding measure 4. Both are fretting the 4th string on the 2nd fret, so why is one in a G chord and the other in the D chord. Maybe I’m not making sense but I’m a little concerned that I may be missing something in banjo tab, which is, of course, much different from the “sheet music” I played previously with reeds.

1 Like

4th string 2nd fret = E note it is included in both D & G scales and can be played during either chord.

if it helps you feel more comfortable or helps at all, you can set the TEF tabs so they run the notation above the tab I believe.

In this instance the E is being used as kind of transition note between the G and D notes around it.

Hint: if you leave out the first 2 strings you would basically have the melody in that section

1 Like

OK, thanks! That makes sense! I appreciate the quick replies! Have a great night!

2 Likes

Glad I could help!

2 Likes

Great question and I’m honored to have you on board! As usual, @Fiddle_wood is spot on.

Also keep in mind that the chords listed are what the accompanying instruments are playin while you are soloing. The notes you play on banjo don’t have to be in that chord/scale. In fact, that’s what gives tunes their distinctiveness–playing different notes while the accompanying rhythm plays a certain chord.

2 Likes

How do you navigate playing the song if you are playing in a jam group. Do you cut the lead in notes (at the beginning of the song) out? My understanding is that when you are jamming you want to start the moment the person before you is done with their break; but if you start with the lead-in, you would be out of time, right??

1 Like

The lead-in (also known as "potatoes) is only done by the player who’s kicking off the tune. You’ve got it right- start your break as soon as the current soloist is done, in the same spot they would if they were to simply repeat their solo.

1 Like

So leave out the slide, right?

If a tef of last two measures of a solo flowing into the first two measures of the solo could be made, would clear up the issue quick and clear. Maybe?

This is one of, very few, drawbacks to tef arrangement when practicing continuous flow into second break. It always starts with leading in measure.

1 Like

If you have the TEFView program you can customize all that.

2 Likes

@BanjoBen It’s my understanding that you can’t use TEFView to customize/edit TEF Files. You NEED the full TablEdit application to save the files.

I frequently customize TEF files adding Bass and sometimes Guitar & Mandolin solos to help me practice my banjo backup skills.

1 Like

If the slide starts on a melody note I don’t think it can be left out.

When I sing it, the initial slide starts on I’m and ends on Goin’.

I believe the rhythm guitar starts by plucking a bass note on Goin’ and strums on the next word sung. So the start of the slide is before the down beat of the first measure.

I wouldn’t mind if a moderator deletes this if I’m wrong or not clear enough.

1 Like

No, not the beginning slide that’s part of the actual song (which everything is in this case… I mistakenly thought that you must have been referencing potatoes in your last question). All of this tab is one break and nothing needs to be cut off at the beginning.

2 Likes

There is a great amount of anticipation needed because the mandolin break ends before the end of the last measure is completely counted through and that’s when you start the slide, inside the end of the last measure of the previous instrumental break. It’s quite seamless.

1 Like

Thanks for all the input. I think I understand now!

1 Like