Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Basic Major Banjo Chords

Welcome, @austinc2804! Here are a few tips:

1. Make sure you’re not leaning/slouching too far one way. A common mistake is to lean over the banjo to see the fingerboard better.
  2. As @Archie suggested, try adjusting your wrist angle one way or another.
  3. Make sure your fingernails are cut short enough for proper fretting.
1 Like

It’s not letting me add pics or idk how.
I’ve tried different wrist and finger positions but it still touches every time. I can do a partial C and d7 with no issues.

IM having the same issue, partial C and d7 OK Full C drives me nuts LOL I like the Train The Brain idea.

1 Like

So the best way to get these cords down with no buzzing is just to form them and then strum for clarity for hours on end…eventually, like rolls, they begin to work. Am I practicing this the right way? It’s really tough on my rookie finger tips:worried::worried:

1 Like

You can break up the long sessions with small breaks to rest the fingers…if something starts to hurt: Stop & take a rest.

Pay attention to how much pressure you’re using…use no more than is necessary.

Mix this practice up with something that uses a different skill or puts demands on a different body part. Maybe practice chords for ten minutes and then practice a roll for ten…etc.

1 Like

Hi @rtaylor Ray I agree with all @Fiddle_wood Dave say’s. It can be frustrating when your starting out. Patience Perseverance and Practice are key to success. I can still recall (12 years on) the pain I had to endure growing my calluses. Don’t press so hard on the strings just enough to allow the string to make contact with the fret this should help reduce the buzzing. Let the muscle memory take care of the chord shapes, With time it will become second nature.

2 Likes

I think best way is to practice switching them while playing a metronome. Strum the strings on each click and determine which speed is your top speed, meaning, at which speed can you play them cleanly the fastest. After you establish that, practice a bit faster for a couple minutes and allow the mess ups. Check out this video:

4 Likes

Hooray! I can now annoy my neighbors with an unceasing barrage of 1-4-5-1 :smiley:

3 Likes

The pdf-tab file for this lesson shows fret finger positions for G, C and D7. Do you have a pdf-file with only those finger positions (no tab) and maybe including those 3 chords plus 4 or 5 more? I’d just like to study just the finger positions with larger diagrams of more chords.
Second question: Is there a place on your website that has an index of all downloadable pdf-files with links to those files?
Thanks.

Howdy @pdfrench!

Welcome to the site! That’s a great question. Please check out this graphic of chord shapes:

Also, be sure to check out this lesson: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/backup-chord-drills-learn-the-neck-banjo

2 Likes

To add something to Ben’s chord chart, it was a serious AHA! moment for me when Alan Munde mentioned that he calls the chord shapes 1, 2, and 3 because the root note of the chord falls on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string respectively. Not noted in the pic is the 3rd shape, which is the barre shape, like the C Major at the bottom of the pic.

3 Likes

So, when trying to make the full, three finger C chord, my middle finger lands slightly later than the other two. Am I forming a bad habit already? Is there anything I can do specifically to help them all land the same time, or do my fingers just need to get stronger and more experience?

1 Like

Hi @danieljones8623 Daniel welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum

Great question and one I struggled with for a long time as a beginner. Here’s how I overcame the issue. Put down your middle finger first then the other two fingers. What your doing here is training the brain to make the shape. A week or so and you’ll be making that shape without any problems.

3 Likes

Hey Archie,

I appreciate the reply and advice. I’ll try that. Sounds like a good trick to practice.

2 Likes

So, I’m having a lot of fun plunking around on my banjo. My hards are doing things I never thought they could do, and it’s exciting. Quick question. I think I could enjoy playing C and d7 chord exercises for another month or two, but at what point should I try and progress to the next step? Should I perfect current lesson skill before progressing to the next, as a general rule I mean?

1 Like

Hi Daniel If you are comfortable with the chord shapes your good to move on. But still practice your G C & G7th chord shapes. From here on your going to see these shapes again and again and you’ll add new chords along the way. Remember you can always come back to this lesson for revision.

1 Like

Yes @danieljones8623, @Archie is right. Keep it going!

1 Like

I thought i had good fingers but that’s not the case. I feel like my hands are just big bricks trying to move smoothly between cord’s. Is this just a normal feeling for beginners or do I have a banjo that may be to small? Can a banjo be to small or are they all standard size?

1 Like

Hi @everman1 Sheldon Dennis Caplinger has big hands and he doesn’t seem to have any problems. Most beginners spent a lot of time looking for reasons that might be hindering their progress. Myself included. I think it took me about two or three years before I began to see any real progress in my playing. Lots and lots of practice.

1 Like

They’re most all standard size but lots of things could be going on. In short, yes it’s a challenge to get the hands working! Post a video of you changing chords, let me see what’s going on and I’ll try to help you out!

1 Like