Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Basic Major Banjo Chords

Sorry you’re right I thought this was a guitar discussion :man_facepalming::man_facepalming: guess I should look at the thread title before posting…

1 Like

Thanks for the responses. If I had any remaining doubts about the value of keeping the pinky free while fingering a C chord, they were answered when I started the Wildwood Flower in C Using the Pinky lesson. All of a sudden pinky freedom became very important. I’ve adjusted my ‘style’. Nobody puts Pinky in a corner.

4 Likes

Ok, I am trying to take your advice and not get frustrated. But having a hell of a time with the C, specicially the middle finger. It hits the 3rd string like all the time, I try to bend, extend, reach, but that causes me to loose good contact with other two strings. About to loose me mine. Has to be way to get this. I know its a very important cord. HELP

2 Likes

Hi Cliff.

If you can post a short video of of you left hand attempting the chord, Ben or others may be able to spot a position problem.

Most things just take time to get the muscles to do their job correctly and comfortably, but sometimes a small change in position of your hand can make a big difference in ease.

Dave

2 Likes

This is terrible, my fingers are getting tired, been practicing most of the day. Just can’t get the C down. I don’t like CAN’T. Driving me nuts. Old banjo that I built 40 years ago, need to learn on this one before step up, sometimes I wonder if my strings are to high. But that’s just a lame excuse. Sorry for the terrible video. But a good idea. Can’t figure out how to upload the video. AHHHH

1 Like

Keeps telling me “Sorry, new users can not upload attachments.”

1 Like

Hi Cliff, It’s always hard to get things right when your starting out as a new student. In his lesson @BanjoBen shows you how to make a two finger partial C Chord then put down the middle finger on the forth string. If as you say your middle finger comes down on the 3rd string instead. Try this little trick to train the brain into doing what you want it to do.

Place your middle finger on the forth string at the second fret first, then put the index ( pointer) finger on the second string first fret, then place the ring finger on the first string at the second fret to form the C Chord. Hold that position for a count of ten then shake off your hand to relax the fingers and repeat the process about 50 times.

What this does is help you force your brain to memorise the shape and finger position of the C Chord.

Next place your two finger C Chord on the fingerboard ( as Ben shows you in the lesson) and see if you can place your middle finger down on the forth string at the second fret few times. If you hit the third string go back and start the exercise again. A few times through should do the trick. If not take a break and try again tomorrow. Whatever you do don’t let it frustrate you. Learning to play banjo takes Patience, Perseverance and Practice. Lots of it.

1 Like

Archie, I like this. I will not give up. Just frustrated. This exercise sounds like a good one. I will let you know. Everything else is going great. Just this. And I know it’s very important. Other problem 60 year fingers not a smooth as they once were. But, I will get it.

Tks

1 Like

Seems I have to push down so damn hard. When I watch others not the same.

1 Like

Hi Cliff, If you have a Free Membership you wont be able to upload attachments

I have the gold one?

1 Like

Probably just me? Will figure it out as well. LOL

1 Like

Hi Cliff take comfort in the knowledge that I didn’t start learning to play the banjo till I was 61. I am now 72

In that case upload your video to YouTube then copy and paste the link to the video here

@troutonthefly, you can upload the video to YouTube and then share the link here.

Your strings might well be too high, and it’s not a lame excuse. So if at all possible get an experienced banjo or guitar player to check the setup, cuz it might be way too high

1 Like

It hasn’t changed over yet to the gold,. It takes a while sometimes for the switch… @BanjoBen ?

videos have to get uploaded from a third party like youtube or vimeo.

Playing an instrument is a long-haul project where slow and steady wins the race. Patience is your friend. :wink:

3 Likes

It will work, but easier to upload to YouTube and post the link here.

2 Likes

I just noticed that. Did add a little confidence. Tks

1 Like

Every time I try to do a c chord the meat of my middle finger hits the third string and it seems like no matter how i move it i can’t get it right. I’m using just my finger tips too. Any tips?
Thanks.

1 Like

welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum Austin @austinc2804 It’s often difficult to fret banjo strings without touching other strings when you new to the banjo. One common problem is the angle of the wrist which in turn determines the angle of your fingers. Posting a picture or better yet a short video clip would allow Ben or others to offer advice on how to correct hand position. Obsessing over a problem can also make the situation worse. I’ve been playing banjo for over 12 years and still find myself touching other stings at times

2 Likes