Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Basic Major Banjo Chords

The pdf-tab file for this lesson shows fret finger positions for G, C and D7. Do you have a pdf-file with only those finger positions (no tab) and maybe including those 3 chords plus 4 or 5 more? I’d just like to study just the finger positions with larger diagrams of more chords.
Second question: Is there a place on your website that has an index of all downloadable pdf-files with links to those files?
Thanks.

Howdy @pdfrench!

Welcome to the site! That’s a great question. Please check out this graphic of chord shapes:

Also, be sure to check out this lesson: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/backup-chord-drills-learn-the-neck-banjo

2 Likes

To add something to Ben’s chord chart, it was a serious AHA! moment for me when Alan Munde mentioned that he calls the chord shapes 1, 2, and 3 because the root note of the chord falls on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string respectively. Not noted in the pic is the 3rd shape, which is the barre shape, like the C Major at the bottom of the pic.

3 Likes

So, when trying to make the full, three finger C chord, my middle finger lands slightly later than the other two. Am I forming a bad habit already? Is there anything I can do specifically to help them all land the same time, or do my fingers just need to get stronger and more experience?

1 Like

Hi @danieljones8623 Daniel welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum

Great question and one I struggled with for a long time as a beginner. Here’s how I overcame the issue. Put down your middle finger first then the other two fingers. What your doing here is training the brain to make the shape. A week or so and you’ll be making that shape without any problems.

3 Likes

Hey Archie,

I appreciate the reply and advice. I’ll try that. Sounds like a good trick to practice.

2 Likes

So, I’m having a lot of fun plunking around on my banjo. My hards are doing things I never thought they could do, and it’s exciting. Quick question. I think I could enjoy playing C and d7 chord exercises for another month or two, but at what point should I try and progress to the next step? Should I perfect current lesson skill before progressing to the next, as a general rule I mean?

1 Like

Hi Daniel If you are comfortable with the chord shapes your good to move on. But still practice your G C & G7th chord shapes. From here on your going to see these shapes again and again and you’ll add new chords along the way. Remember you can always come back to this lesson for revision.

1 Like

Yes @danieljones8623, @Archie is right. Keep it going!

1 Like

I thought i had good fingers but that’s not the case. I feel like my hands are just big bricks trying to move smoothly between cord’s. Is this just a normal feeling for beginners or do I have a banjo that may be to small? Can a banjo be to small or are they all standard size?

1 Like

Hi @everman1 Sheldon Dennis Caplinger has big hands and he doesn’t seem to have any problems. Most beginners spent a lot of time looking for reasons that might be hindering their progress. Myself included. I think it took me about two or three years before I began to see any real progress in my playing. Lots and lots of practice.

1 Like

They’re most all standard size but lots of things could be going on. In short, yes it’s a challenge to get the hands working! Post a video of you changing chords, let me see what’s going on and I’ll try to help you out!

1 Like

Great lesson on tricking your brain for playing the chords. Especially helpful is your suggestion on playing variations of different strings within the chord.
I am having a problem with “pausing” when I’m trying to make a smooth transition from one chord to another, particularly G to (full) C. The partial does not seem to be much of an issue.
I’m a firm believer in the “just keep at it” theory and fully intend to do so, but are there any tips/techniques available for smooth chord transitioning (similar to the Speed Test tips) ??

1 Like

Most of it will be just a factor of time and getting familiar with putting that chord down, but one thing you can take note of is to allow your fingers to rest just above the strings where you’ll be fretting in a few moments. This can slightly reduce the movement and time needed when putting your fingers down.

I have a great tip. Often when we struggle to form a chord, a particular finger is the culprit. So, practice slowly changing to the chord but leading with the various fingers–make your index land first 20 times, then make your middle land first 20 times, and so on. You’ll identify the problem finger and also train your brain to be more confident in that finger placement.

4 Likes

Hello all!

I’ve been struggling to not mute strings when I play, and developed an alternate way to play the C chord; my question is if it’s a bad habit. In this case, I rest my index on the first 2 strings of the 1st fret, and press the first string of the 2nd fret with my middle finger. Finally, I wrap my thumb around the back to get the 4th string on the 2nd fret. This link is a picture of what I do:

It feels natural to me, but I’m wondering if I should be putting the effort in now to change how I play it. Thoughts?

Also, new here and to playing instruments in general! I’m excited to get serious with the lessons.

1 Like

Hi @lennjona602 Johnathon welcome

I am so glad you asked for help. What you are doing is going to lead to major problems going forward. The best advice I can offer is to follow @BanjoBen 's Beginner Learning track.

https://banjobenclark.com/university/beginner-banjo

Muting strings is all part of the learning process. The fact that you know your muting them is a start. What you’ve got to do is adjust your hand position until your find the position where you can play it clean.

Post a video let Ben see what your doing and he’ll keep you right

2 Likes

Howdy @lennjona602 and welcome to the forum! Great question!

My advice is to stop doing this asap and work your way through the proper chord shapes. Please post a pic of your hand from a couple angles making the normal C chord so I can see if there is a technique issue.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great advice Ben. Problem seems to be getting a clear third string which seems to be affected by the middle finger not positioned just right. I’ll definitely work on that via your advice.
I would like to know if the issue of not being able to transition smoothly into the C chord should stop any advancing in the beginner learning track? (e.g. learning rolls, etc.)
Or would you suggest I continue to develop the C chord and complete lessons while that is happening?
Thanks again.

Continue on!