Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Make-a-Break, Featuring Tex Critter

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-make-a-break-featuring-tex-critter-banjo-intermediate

Tex Critter is a nice feller, as long as you play banjo solos for his songs! In this groundbreaking approach, Tex is gonna make YOU a certified banjo player. And if you don’t like that, he’ll be happy to take it outside.

14 Likes

That is pretty much how the jams go… For me anyways. Lol

Enjoyed that lesson. Take care.

4 Likes

What happened to Tex’s “chest piece” at 3:10? Hope he doesn’t find that in his underwear at the end of the day. That would be a real surprise. Good topic though, gives me lots of homework.

4 Likes

This lesson just raised the bar. I went through it for about an hour today before I had to shift my focus to dad duties. I’m hoping tomorrow I can spend a lot more time on it. Might have to get up extra early and slap the mute on the ol’ Twanger to get some practice time in.

I’m really looking forward to working on this.

4 Likes

This was a great lessons @BanjoBen
and thank Mr Critter for me, great lyricist and motivational speaker

3 Likes

OK, let’s have some fun with this. I’ve sat down to the lesson again today uninterrupted. I decided that, for the sake of not getting stuck in the “I can only play what’s in Ben’s lesson” trap, I didn’t work on memorizing his tab. Instead, I came up with my own rolls and licks. Some of them are nearly identical to the lesson, but I didn’t learn them from the lesson tab. I also didn’t memorize a particular break. What I played in this video may not be played the same way if I record it again.

Here’s my first attempt using licks I already know and can recall fairly easily.

My next goal is to use Ben’s Bag O’ Licks lessons and work some of them in here.

Post a video of what you have come up with and let’s learn from each other!

16 Likes

That is pretty cool @Mark_Rocka

I got inspired when @BanjoBen said his girl was given the task to figure out how to play happy birthday on the Mandolim by herself so I decided I’d give it a go on the banjo. I tried to build the song from the basic melody following the concept of this class- What do you think?

10 Likes

Excellent Frank. Is that an Ibanez Road Star behind you? I got one of those.

4 Likes

Great job Mark. When you arpeggio the 3 and 2 do you use minors?

5 Likes

great lesson Ben and well done Mark and Frank…

4 Likes

@Mark_Rocka Dude, that’s it. You’ve got it.

5 Likes

Listening to those three makes me feel like I just accidentally fell into the deep end of the pool!
I’m trying to swim, but I keep gulping water!

4 Likes

:rofl:

hahaha! Great lesson! Maybe not written just for me!!! But Dang! This scenario has played out more than once. Thanks Tex Critter!

3 Likes

Hey @Treblemaker it is an american fender Jazz Bass - Those Ibanez Road Star are really rare, I am jealous :grinning:

4 Likes

Mark - that sounds great! I’d jam with you any day man! -Stephen

5 Likes

Thanks Stephen! We’ll have to see how this translates to other songs I don’t already know. I’m pretty excited about it, though!

4 Likes

That was hysterical AND informative! I thoroughly enjoyed!!

5 Likes

Hi Ben
Enjoyed that. Great little ditty to learn, next time you see Tex tell him he plays a mean banjo😂
Regards
Davey
Bangor, County Down, Northern Ireland.

7 Likes

Oops Ben on the banjo, my mistake🤪

5 Likes

Heres what the preview taught me. @BanjoBen is a Goof ball and you got to know more than foggy mountain breakdown to be a bluegrass banjo player :rofl::joy:

4 Likes