Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Make-a-Break, Featuring Tex Critter

That is a great lesson Ben.

3 Likes

Mark,
I was doing this same thing last night and Iā€™ll try and record something in the next couple of days maybe on a different song. I sure hope I can get better with this in time. Right now I am really struggling to make the rolls fit. I sometimes end up doing some single string stuff to make them work out and it just doesnā€™t sound smooth.

4 Likes

Well here it isā€¦:This is where Iā€™m at. :joy: If I were really at a Jam it would sound something like this or probably worse. Iā€™ve never learned Eighth if January so used it as an example. I listened to the song a few times, then learned the chord progression, attempted the melody a few times then recorded. I know it will take practicing this art to develop it, but I did want to share where I am and to get some advice on how to make the rolls smooth and line up with the melody better. I can do this on paper, make it all work out, work in some licks and then sit down and memorize it, but I desperately want to be able to do it on the fly. I mentioned this briefly at Camp that I love @BanjoBenā€™s TABd arraignments but when itā€™s Jam time I realize a lot of the songs are songs I donā€™t know. My goal for the next 12 months is to not depend on Benā€™s arraignments so much and try to do my own thing. Iā€™m not striving for the hottest licks, but just to be able to play something that is interesting on the fly. @BanjoBen I sure hope Tex has a guitar lesson soon!

14 Likes

Hi

Loved ur lesson. Ur new character is funny. Please keep him as a regular on the site.
:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Brandonā€¦DUDE! That was awesome! I would have had no trouble at all figuring out you were playing 8th of Jan in that first video if I hadnā€™t read it first. The melody was totally there. The Made Up Song? Same thing.

I think weā€™re in the same boat, man. It just going to take some dedication to get this happening automatically. I sat down last night with Benā€™s Bag Oā€™ Licks licks and started working them into the song. This lesson is so addicting I woke up at 4:30am and my brain was already trying to work in more licks, and variations of licks. I finally got tired of laying there and just got out of bed to come work on it.

Great job!

8 Likes

Brandon, you should be really encouraged.

Yes, this is where Iā€™m secretly trying to lead everyone. My goal is for you to do my lessons so much that you eventually build the tools/skills needed to be your own player. Thatā€™s why I try to teach some skill or concept in every lesson vs. just teaching the tab. Iā€™m really proud of you!

9 Likes

Nice work man
@Bcaves :cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::banjo::banjo::banjo:

2 Likes

Thanks Ben, your method of teaching is what keeps me interested, I always seem to have a clear path of learning. I was at a jam last weekend playing guitar and I took Kenny Smiths advice to always try to play something. There were a lot of wrong notes but it did me some good to push back the fear!

8 Likes

Ah man, another banjo picker relegated to the garage. Itā€™s like our own little secret society. I wonder if the mando players have to do that? Anyway, great job, Brandon. Iā€™m hoping to get to that skill level one day soon.

8 Likes

Mike Rowe made a statement about him singing at a competition. He said ā€œI canā€™t say I remembered every word or nailed every note, but I got enough of them.ā€ That statement has helped me often.

8 Likes

I have been waiting for a lesson like this for over a year. That is when I realized that memorizing tab was not going to get me where I wanted to be in a jam. These are the same steps I have discovered by going through several different books, online lessons, friends, etc. It is really difficult at first, but gets easier each time I do it. I still have a long ways to go to get where I want to be. I have also found that it good to still learn some songs from tab so that you learn other ways to play melodies through rolls and licks. But I only learn about 1 song a month like that. The others I try to learn by ear. Also, I highly recommend practicing to some jam videos. There are slow jam videos out there that allow you to feel like you are in a jam. You do your backup and then take a lead when it is your turn. I would love to see Ben put out some videos like that also. hint hint. :wink:

8 Likes

Frank
Good job, it always feels good to figure out stuff on your own! Your post gave me an idea of how to incorporate a bonus practice into my 9 yr old daughters guitar practice time. I told her yesterday I would give her 5 dollars if she figured out the first line of twinkle twinkle little star. I got home today and she almost has it whipped! I think Iā€™ll do some sort of bonus for her every week.

6 Likes

Another tip, when you are trying to learn the melody, use the Amazing Slow Downer app. You can have it loop over the section you want to learn and slow it way down. I use this and pluck each note in the scale if I have to in order to find that melody note.

5 Likes

hey @Bcaves that is such a great idea, I love those challenges, your kid will get those $5 for sure
I will tag along on this one too, do I get $5 ? -$10 most likely, I will pay ya to let me play

11 Likes

Yupā€¦ I regularly get sent to another room thatā€™s not adjoining the living/kitchen area or the basement :confounded:. If the weatherā€™s good itā€™s the back porch (with the door shutā€¦) :notes::notes:

5 Likes

Nice Frank! That song doesnā€™t lend itself to Scruggs style very easily. You made it look easy, though!

3 Likes

Hey @BanjoBen, what kind of bass do you have??:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I happen to know this, because I got to play it before him. :slight_smile: Itā€™s a 1943 Kay.

Thatā€™s not the bass youā€™re hearing on his backing tracks. I think Ben letā€™s the software handle the bass part. The rest of the instruments are all Ben, though.

3 Likes

Thanks, it looks very niceā€‹:sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

What does root and back down mean? Never heard that. Are you talking in terms of the melody or something in the chord structure?

Know root. Just never heard ā€œback downā€.

2 Likes