Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Hand Positions

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-hand-positions-banjo

We’ll discuss anchoring with our pick hand and how to position our fretting hand!

This lesson helped me to realize why my left shoulder has been sore when practicing. I have been holding my fret hand (and whole arm) back so far that the neck is pointing slightly behind me. Moving my hand forward a few inches to a position that is more natural and more parallel to my sitting position has relieved this shoulder discomfort a lot. Probably been holding the neck at this awkward angle to see the frets and the strings better. Not playing with a strap at the moment. A strap may have helped put the Banjo in a more proper position as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for this Ben! very helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the comments about anchoring with the pinky only in your case. I am right handed (RH) as well and have a similar situation with my RH (picking) ring finger wanting to follow with my middle. I actually tried tying my RH pinky to my ring with an elastic band in an effort to train my ring to stay with the pinky in an effort to anchor with both. After several hours of practice, this did not prove to be successful for me. It caused extra strain and fatigue in my case, so I decided to try anchoring with the pinky only. In my case, I don’t have particularly large hands and I feel it helps me arch over the top of the strings better. I may change my mind later, but for now, I’m anchoring with the pinky only (every once in a while I look down and see the ring only anchoring instead!)

1 Like

I’m running into an issue with my right hand. It wants to roll back onto the bridge anythime I’m not 100% focused on where it is. I am still trying to determine if I am a one finger or two finger planted player too. Any suggestions on how to curb this rolling back of my RT hand? Any advise is appreciated. Thank you

1 Like

Howdy Brian! Tough for me to give concrete advice if I can’t see what’s happening. Please go to the Video Swap category and post a short video of what’s happening. I’ll then watch, analyze, and suggest the fix. Thanks!

I just started playing with Dunlop banjo finger picks, and have been playing with Ernie Ball picks since I started. The tone is not as crisp as my thumb, this might be because the picks and not flat on the strings. Is there a right or wrong angle for this? I noticed Ben didn’t cover it in this video. I mostly notice it on finger pick heavy songs like John Henry.

1 Like

Yes, there is. Watch my lesson called “Pickin’ your picks”: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pickin-your-banjo-picks-banjo

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Great Information on hand position. I have just started playing (50ish years old) and my fretting hand is not the most agile or limber. Do you have any advice on exercises that will help to strengthen and allow for more flexibility when not playing?

Thanks

B

3 Likes

That’s a great question, @wkschuyler! There are basic finger stretches out there though admittedly I don’t do them often–see a google search here

3 Likes

Hi William welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum

I am sure Ben wont mind me giving his banjo teacher a plug…

Check out this DVD on Alan Munde’s website. https://almundesbanjocollege.com/dvds/

THE BLUEGRASS BANJO WORKOUT DVD

In ten information-rich lessons, master teacher Alan Munde de-mystifies many right and left hand playing techniques. Work with these lessons will add to the player’s dexterity, will increase left hand stretch, solve difficult left hand fingerings, increase speed, and help with the visual organisation of the fingerboard.

(93-MU-B2) $29.95

3 Likes

I am still having great frustration getting accuracy with my picking hand. What is the best way to develop the accuracy and not having to think about what that hand is doing. I have been practicing the square roll for days and still am missing strings. I am concerned that I will develop a habit of watching that hand. When I add a chord…its even worse? any advice at all?

1 Like

Days? Give it time.

Go slow. Relax.

2 Likes

Well OK…I guess I am expecting too much. The way the lessons are presented it gave me the impression that they are so basic that they should smooth out in a few days of practice and not weeks and months. I should have known better. Dumb question

3 Likes

Hi Ray Patients Perseverance and Practice lots of it is what is required. We all want to push ourselves forward but it takes a bit of time before we begin to see results. As Dave say’s relax and glow slow

2 Likes

Ray, the only dumb question is the one we don’t ask…

There are a lot of things in the body & mind that have to happen before playing an instrument becomes second nature.
Hang in there…it will come…in its own good time!

2 Likes

Post a little video in the video swap forum category and I’ll see if I can spot something to improve!

1 Like

Hi Ben. Loving your website. Any advice on how to improve economy of movement of right hand fingers and thumb. I’ve noticed I seem to be moving my thumb and fingers much more than you are doing in your videos. Many thanks.

3 Likes

Hi Steve welcome To @BanjoBen 's Forum. It may be a while till Ben replies to your post. He will be preparing to head up to Alaska for his Banjo Camp this week end. It would help him greatly if you posted a video showing what problems you have. That way he will be better informed and ready to address your query on his return

4 Likes