Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Hand Positions

I noticed the fingers on your fretting hand appear to be contacting strings at a slight angle and not directly straight on the string. Is this a video optical illusion or an acceptable angle for making string contact?
I’ve been trying to contact each string straight on and find it extremely difficult (especially with chords). I would like to clarify if this is simply another beginner hurdle that too will pass with practice or an acceptable fretting hand positionl

1 Like

@kooseman, the boss is out of town for a few days, but my opinion is that slight angles are normal. Especially on chords. You will hear it stressed by some to play on the tips, but I think that’s just a start. Depending on what you are doing, you may well use different parts of the fingertips and even the pads. I use the side of my finger for some barres.
Just my two cents!

2 Likes

I agree with @Mike_R. Also, my fingernails point toward my right shoulder, not the ceiling. It would be really helpful if you could post a photo/vid of your hand position.

2 Likes

Thanks so much Mike & Ben for the advice, particularly about fingernails point toward my right shoulder.
I’ll definitely give that a try. Thanks also for the expedient replies.

2 Likes

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/controlling-your-fingers-with-alan-munde-banjo-beginner

Hello Ben and others. I am brand new to the site and the banjo. I am really enjoying it,. I was making good progress on the forward rolls and then I got my first picks. I’m determined to learn how to use them but it is definitely a step backwards.It’s revealing that my hand position was not quite correct I think. so now as I move forward through lessons my difficulty is I"m not sure if my problems are related to band hand position, bad pick wearing, or just needing more practice. I’ve seen at times that the suggestion was made to post a video in the video swap and then people could help me determine if I Need to adjust my hand position or my pick wearing strategy. If I post a video the the video swap will ben or someone else help me?

3 Likes

Hey David, welcome to the forum (and the banjo)! Absolutely! You will probably receive some kind of response within a day or so. Ben is on a mission trip as we speak, but he is still keeping up with the forum somewhat (I also keep tabs on it pretty often). I’d be more than happy to help you out. We love seeing video swap submissions.

2 Likes

Thank you Michael! I will post a video today later. My two basic difficulties are that I find on backward rolls (but not so much on forward) I am hitting the head with the middle finger pick. I was hitting the head with the thumb pick initially but that seems of have corrected itself. But now, when I try playing anything with the thumb other than the fifth string, I find that I catch the wrong string with the band end of the pick. Does that ever happen to anyone else?

1 Like

Weird things like that have happened to me too, especially as a beginner. I think it’s just because of the awkwardness of starting out with this instrument that requires a good deal of learned precision— most of my little peeves that I had as a beginner (picks catching on strings, fingers scraping the banjo head, etc) eventually went away on their own as I kept learning and playing.

2 Likes

Do you have any suggestions on how to set up the video. I mean do I just close up on the hand, and is there a particular angle which will work best? O just a video of me sitting and playing straight on? Any suggestions on what will give you the best view? And then do I just post it as a new video under my own topic “pick hand critiques?” or something like that?

1 Like

Whatever shows the issues you’re struggling with the best- doesn’t have to be fancy. Straight-on is fine, but it’s ok to have it slightly angled as well, as long as you feel it accurately represents your hand position. A slightly wider shot than just the hand would help as issues can come from the shoulder/posture as well. You can always film more than one shot (e.g. close up and then full frame) if you feel that gives a clearer picture.

Yep!

1 Like

BTW I hope his mission trip is going well!

2 Likes

I have a beginner question relative to my fret hand stretching. I seem to have a genuine problem when it requires me to stretch from index to third finger. But, I can more easily use my pinky in lieu of the third finger.
Is this an acceptable option or will it develop a bad habit further on .
I’ve just viewed Alan Munde’s vid. on Controlling Fingers and will definitely attempt the stretching exercises he recommends. But I would still like to know if the use of my fourth finger is an acceptable option.

2 Likes

@kooseman my answer to that question is…it depends. There may be times where you need to be able to make that stretch because you’ll ultimately need your pinky for another fret/string. And there will be times that it’s strictly personal preference.

I think you’ll be fine to do that and there will be some rare things that you can’t do, perhaps.

1 Like

Thank you for your responses.
Currently, I totally relate to Alan’s initial determination of who “OWNS” my pinky !!! :grin:

1 Like