Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Forward Roll Study

Howdy, I have a question for one of the Instructors. I have started the forward roll lesion and the reverse roll as well. because you used the same song ( boil them cabbage down)erse I set both tabs side by side and plat straight thru. also I will play the forward roll that starts with one of the fingers and follow it with the reverse roll with the same finger, I plain to mix it up more so I can down either roll with out thinking about it. Here is the questions: 1 I hope to record myself playing the rolls for your review (it will be first banjo review for me ever) is what I am doing good bad or just ok. and if good May I record straight both forward and reverse roll lesion together. I am also working on the forward reverse roll lesion worried man I think rolls to be the base line for this style banjo playing. please let me know I am really enjoying this so very much.

8 Likes

That is a GREAT way to practice and you are really training yourself to be proficient, and yes one video will be fine.

7 Likes

Thanks I hope to record this coming weekend I am so looking forward to your review I need to know just how far out I am playing, can’t get better if you don’t know where you’re going wrong

5 Likes

Hey! Any reason the D7 at bar 7 comes in an eighth note early? All the other forward and backward rolls patterns don’t have this push…

3 Likes

The mp3s are only playing the first 12 measures correct?

3 Likes

Sorry I have not responded sooner I had cataract surgery and just now able to read and type etc.
I would like to ask for prayers for the families for those that lost their lives and those still suffering from 9-11-2001

3 Likes

Good Sunday morning to all. its been some time that I have been on here due to the cataract surgery I had I only received my new glasses the end of last week, and just back to practicing wow i lost a lot trying to get back where I was lol driving me a bit nuts but then again that’s a short drive for me. Well back to getting ready to record this lesion I have been working on it as far back as June as a number of you have told me it will never be perfect so I am saying Sunday the 31 0f October I will record and work on posting it for Bens and everyone’s review. I hope once I get the first or the first few posted it will go better. Thanks for your time, Have a Blessed day.

7 Likes

Way to battle back, that must have been a real challenge! Look forward to seeing your video!

7 Likes

thanks ben you have been a huge help and when i started playing when i was 10 and i was using a guy by the name of Bradley laird and he really he just left you on you own with a whole lot of tablature and for half a year i was learning nothing but then found you and i am getting really good now thank you for taking the time to make all these videos

8 Likes

Thanks got a recording it’s not very good the recording I mean redid it a few times will keep trying to get a clean recording till this Sunday or post this one

3 Likes

hi all well got one that I will submit its not as good as I wanted but I did over hundreds of attempts and was getting very disappointed in myself I could play the music as long as I was not trying to record lol I guess camera shy well this one is far from good but I need to get it posted I may need help getting it on you tube we will see. at least I’m having fun playing again . hop its to you soon.

well I think I uploaded my video twice now but cant find it to get the link dont know what to do any ideas

2 Likes

If you are uploading to youtube and using your phone send the video to someone via text message then copy link and paste her on forum. Hope that helps

2 Likes

I think this is it

here you go @Sailor

16 Likes

that works! It’s coming right along!

4 Likes

Hi folks well I did it please find the roll lesion above and please everyone let me know what you think its ok I got a big box of Kleenex and I can take it :cold_sweat::sob: God Bless all

4 Likes

I didn’t call this video to Banjo Ben’s attention would love to know what you think Ben thanks

3 Likes

Hi again sorry for all the post am excited that I got the video posted and forgot to thank all who took the time to give advice and support through this first step is becoming a musician again (played trumpet in high school but that was back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. As a 65 year old man it can be hard to be be the new kid lol but I always loved making music and enjoying this group thanks so very much to all, and God Bless.

5 Likes

bravo @Sailor that sounded good to me.

3 Likes

thanks Archie

3 Likes