Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Forward Roll Study

You got the video uploaded and you got the lesson down! Nice job! Your timing was consistent, your pick angles looked good, and your picking hand looks nice and relaxed. You’re ready for the next lesson!

7 Likes

thank you

3 Likes

thank you very much Mark Rocka

4 Likes

Sounding and looking good to me. Keep on picking :+1:

3 Likes

@Sailor Not a Banjo man myself but good effort and enjoyable best of luck

3 Likes

Thanks so much

3 Likes

Thanks for your time and evaluation

3 Likes

Not bad!

3 Likes

@Sailor
Nice picking :grin::clap::+1:t2:!!!

4 Likes

Thanks Simone

4 Likes

@Sailor, really proud of you! As folks have already said, your timing is down pat and great contact with the strings! You’re not too far from your hand relaxing a bit more and speed picking up. It’s just gonna take your brain going on autopilot a bit, which it will do! Great job!

5 Likes

Thanks Ben really enjoy all you have taught me now I’m looking forward to learning as much as I can. :smiley:

3 Likes

Quick question! I was wondering if hand fatigue
is normal or am i playing too hard?
Thanks!

2 Likes

That depends. If you’re a new picker it can be common. It should get better with time.

4 Likes

Thanks for the lesson Ben. I am finding it a little hard to get the middle finger style nailed down. My brain just isn’t computing it as it feels awkward where as with the other two i’m up to a really fast pace. Practice is key I bet, Cheers.

4 Likes

Hi @jake_ddsn Jake welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Learning rolls from scratch is tough. As I recall it took me several months before I got the hang of it and it was the middle finger that gave me the most grief. The secret is to play slow. Yes I know you want to play fast we all do but if you want to play with accuracy and control you have to practice slowly. Speed will come in time, your goal for now is to play smoothly and slowly. Like riding a bicycle on auto pilot.

5 Likes

Greetings Ya’ll
I just became a gold pick member this week and I’m glad I did!
I’ve played guitar for years and have always been fascinated by the banjo. I’m retired now and am a full time caregiver for my 28 year old son, who had a stroke and is recovering slowly. I figured this would be a great time to begin. I picked up a beginner Fender banjo and am having a great time! Can’t wait to upgrade to a better banjo. I’m also glad to see so many others enjoying this instrument.
I love the comments and encouragement, plus Ben is very patient.

6 Likes

welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum Robert I can say with hand on heart this is the best place on the world wide web to learn to play banjo. If you have a question or need advice don’t be afraid to holler.

5 Likes

Hay archie you are so right

2 Likes

Thanks Archie!
I’ve viewed Jim Pankey’s videos and Kristen Scott Benson’s material, BUT this is the best!

6 Likes