Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Alternate Banjo Tunings

A lot of times, this tuning is great for songs in minor keys such as the “Cluck Ol’ Hen” example that I used which was in G minor. Doug Dillard used this tuning to play “Whole World Round” although he tuned the whole banjo 1/2 step lower to play in F# minor, I believe. It could also be used for songs such as “Pretty Polly” that are in a major key but have that modal sound or that use more blues scale notes. G or G minor up to C or C minor is usually pretty easy with the use of a capo. I hope this helps answer your question!

5 Likes

Mr. @AdamAsh,

Welcome to the forum and please don’t be a stranger!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Perhaps it has been done… But how great would it be to have lessons in each of these alternate tunings.

Isn’t B to C a full step?

1 Like

Hey Guys,
I live in Missouri. If I am ever in your neck of the woods is the store open to the public?

1 Like

No, it’s a half step

Dang it! I knew that…it’s one of those days!

1 Like

Hey,

Yes! We would be glad to see you! If you do, though, it’s a good idea to give us a call before you come to let us know that you’re coming and if there is anything in particular you would like to look at so we can have it pulled out and ready for you. That also helps us know not to plan to shoot a video or anything such as that during that time period that you plan to be here. Hope to see you one of these days!

2 Likes

Hi @BanjoBen & @AdamAsh Just been re-visiting this lesson and I was wondering if you could include TABs Tef Files for the tunes featured in the lesson

Cluck Old Hen - Sawmill - G Modal
Soldiers Joy - Drop C
Angeline the Baker - Double C
Ruben - Option 2 D Tuning
Little Lisa Jane Option 3 D Tuning
Shady Grove - D Minor Tuning
Lorena - E Tuning

4 Likes

Adam doesn’t have those tabs, but perhaps @Dragonslayer could get to work on these.

5 Likes

Ooh fun! I’ll get started

4 Likes

@AdamAsh what do these alternative tunings mean for other instruments? Are the tunings close enough that other instruments play in their normal tuning? For example, drop C tuning is often used for banjos playing Angeline the Baker. Tune the banjo to drop C, capo up two frets and play in the C position gets the banjo to D, which is the key the fiddlers like for that tune.

Do the fiddlers (and other instruments) play their normal key of D or are they expected to modify their playing to suit the banjo tuning? Or is the desired result that the alternate tuned banjo provides a more unique sound? Great topic and lesson by the way.

2 Likes

The tuning of the banjo makes no difference as long as you all play in the same key. If you play Angelina Baker in drop C capoed two, just tell the fiddler key of D and they can play along however they see fit. Just make sure you know what key you’re playing in, and it’ll all work out

1 Like

Yeah, @Dragonslayer is right. The other instruments can just play as they normally would. The key there is just making sure that you are actually in tune. If you tune down by ear without using a tuner at all, often you can be in tune with yourself, but not with anyone else.

2 Likes

I concur; making sure you are in tune with the other instruments you are playing with is very important. My youth pastor and I both played guitar for a special recently and didn’t check our tuning with each other, and we sounded like a badly out of tune 12 string. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/soldiers-joy-banjo

Ben already has a lesson for this song in this tuning. Did you not check for this, or do you just really want to know exactly how Adam plays it?

2 Likes

Hi Gunnar, My real reason for posting the request was add value to @AdamAsh 's great lesson. To give those that wish to have an opportunity to try playing some tunes in alternate tuning’s.

At the time I hadn’t realised @BanjoBen had Soldiers Joy as a lesson on the site in Drop D. (Adam 's version is in Drop C ) I just listed those tunes that were on Adam 's lesson.

I already know/play my own arrangement of Soldiers Joy which I learned by ear about 10 years ago and have tweaked it over the years. It would be great for all students to see how Adam’s version differs from Ben’s version.

Ben’s version has it’s own character and style, it has way more bounce than my arrangement.

2 Likes

I like these alternate tunings but is there any further discussion about knowing when to use them , or what do the other instruments have to do in response to changing your tuning etc? Are these tunings in response to a different song key, or has another instrument(s) also altered their tuning as well? Once were out of Open G, or A or B, I get a little lost.

2 Likes

The other instruments just have to hang out for a few minutes while the banjo player achieves this alternate tuning. :grinning::banjo::banjo::grinning:

2 Likes