Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Alternate Banjo Tunings

The tuning of the banjo makes no difference as long as you all play in the same key. If you play Angelina Baker in drop C capoed two, just tell the fiddler key of D and they can play along however they see fit. Just make sure you know what key you’re playing in, and it’ll all work out

1 Like

Yeah, @Dragonslayer is right. The other instruments can just play as they normally would. The key there is just making sure that you are actually in tune. If you tune down by ear without using a tuner at all, often you can be in tune with yourself, but not with anyone else.

2 Likes

I concur; making sure you are in tune with the other instruments you are playing with is very important. My youth pastor and I both played guitar for a special recently and didn’t check our tuning with each other, and we sounded like a badly out of tune 12 string. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/soldiers-joy-banjo

Ben already has a lesson for this song in this tuning. Did you not check for this, or do you just really want to know exactly how Adam plays it?

2 Likes

Hi Gunnar, My real reason for posting the request was add value to @AdamAsh 's great lesson. To give those that wish to have an opportunity to try playing some tunes in alternate tuning’s.

At the time I hadn’t realised @BanjoBen had Soldiers Joy as a lesson on the site in Drop D. (Adam 's version is in Drop C ) I just listed those tunes that were on Adam 's lesson.

I already know/play my own arrangement of Soldiers Joy which I learned by ear about 10 years ago and have tweaked it over the years. It would be great for all students to see how Adam’s version differs from Ben’s version.

Ben’s version has it’s own character and style, it has way more bounce than my arrangement.

2 Likes

I like these alternate tunings but is there any further discussion about knowing when to use them , or what do the other instruments have to do in response to changing your tuning etc? Are these tunings in response to a different song key, or has another instrument(s) also altered their tuning as well? Once were out of Open G, or A or B, I get a little lost.

2 Likes

The other instruments just have to hang out for a few minutes while the banjo player achieves this alternate tuning. :grinning::banjo::banjo::grinning:

2 Likes

Hi @Stixx3969 Keith like you I’d like to see more lessons on alternate tunings. Tony Ellis does have a TAB book of tunes with alternate tunings. I bought a copy years ago but I never got down to learning any. Maybe I’ll dig it out later this year and try to record something. I really like playing in E tuning, Drop C and Open D tuning is fun too. Although Ruben is the only tune I know in Open D. Last year I recorded my best attempt of John Hartford’s Lorena in E. and Casey Henry’s Arr of John Hartford’s Gum Tree canoe also in E.

Feel free to check them out

6 Likes

@Stixx3969 Good questions! Really, it depends on several things:

1. Does it make the song easier to play?
    It’s much easier to play most songs in a way that we can use as many open notes as possible. Also, some notes are just not accessible at all in standard G tuning.

2. Are we trying to get a certain effect?
    Songs played in an open E tuning, for example, are played exactly the same as an open G tuning, but the banjo has a unique low growly kind of tone that is neat, (aside from the fact that it is easier to play than playing out of chord positions in an open G tuning). Also, it’s easier for songs to kind of lose a bit of the drive that they would have in an open tuning if you’re having to play out of chord positions, at least it is for me. I can drive a song better if I’m playing from an open G position and can do my normal hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, etc.
    In other alternate tunings, there are certain licks that you can do and notes you can get for certain effects that are not actually necessary, but just add to the song.

3. Does it make sense to take the time to tune to an alternate tuning?
    When Jim Mills was playing with Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder, they recorded a song where Jim used C tuning. I later saw them perform a show where they played that song mixed in with several other songs in standard G tuning, and Jim stayed in G tuning because he didn’t have the time to retune between songs. Our band does a couple of songs for which I use E tuning. Thankfully, I have 2 banjos to play, so I take them both to our shows and leave one tuned to E.

Ultimately, it’s all about what key the song is in and what is easiest or achieves the sound that you want. It really doesn’t matter whether other instruments alter their tuning as well, or if they stay in standard tuning.

Hope this all makes sense and helps!

11 Likes

Thanks Adam!

2 Likes

Lorena - E Tuning has any made a tab ,for the way Adam is playing it, His version and his tuning gave me goose bumps.

1 Like

Not to my knowledge @ovbey.lane John Hartford did release a double DVD which does feature Lorena and does include TAB. I’d suggest you check you also check the Banjo Hangout

thanks archie you are a scholar and a gentlemen.

1 Like

Glad to help. You can learn Lorena in G then retune to E.

Cool lesson. Broke my first string while tuning though, and I don’t have any new strings.:roll_eyes: #howBenmakesmoney :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

No worries @KevinB it happens to us all, good news is the General Store keeps a plentiful supply in stock and the guy’s there are just sittin waiting on your call.

https://store.banjobenclark.com/collections/strings

2 Likes

They are down two sets of strings now.:grin:

2 Likes