Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Alternate Banjo Tunings

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/alternate-banjo-tunings-banjo-beginner

Most everyone knows open G tuning, but there are so many more to be discovered! Adam Ash walks us through many options and gives examples for songs that use those tuning.

6 Likes

Thank you @BanjoBen & Adam for this excellent lesson. This will surely open the door for many new students who have never tried alternate turnings.

It would be really great if you could include tef files for the tunes that Adam plays as a little taster adding value to the lesson.

3 Likes

It’s also says D Tuning when Adam is showing the E tuning :+1:

2 Likes

I like what Adam was doing with the sawmill/g modal tuning. Anyone have a lead on tabs using this tuning?

1 Like

Hi @Danl1, Check out Tony Ellis TAB book, not sure if he uses sawmill in any of his arrangements but I do know he covers some alternate turnings.

1 Like

Great to see these applied with 3 finger too. I do have a question around backup/jamming for G modal - what guitar chords work well with this tuning?

1 Like

Absolutely LOVE this lesson! Adam did an awesome job of explaining and demonstrating these tunings. I’ll be back for sure. This just goes to show yet another facet to which the banjo can be explored.

1 Like

A lot of times, this tuning is great for songs in minor keys such as the “Cluck Ol’ Hen” example that I used which was in G minor. Doug Dillard used this tuning to play “Whole World Round” although he tuned the whole banjo 1/2 step lower to play in F# minor, I believe. It could also be used for songs such as “Pretty Polly” that are in a major key but have that modal sound or that use more blues scale notes. G or G minor up to C or C minor is usually pretty easy with the use of a capo. I hope this helps answer your question!

5 Likes

Mr. @AdamAsh,

Welcome to the forum and please don’t be a stranger!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Perhaps it has been done… But how great would it be to have lessons in each of these alternate tunings.

Isn’t B to C a full step?

1 Like

Hey Guys,
I live in Missouri. If I am ever in your neck of the woods is the store open to the public?

1 Like

No, it’s a half step

Dang it! I knew that…it’s one of those days!

1 Like

Hey,

Yes! We would be glad to see you! If you do, though, it’s a good idea to give us a call before you come to let us know that you’re coming and if there is anything in particular you would like to look at so we can have it pulled out and ready for you. That also helps us know not to plan to shoot a video or anything such as that during that time period that you plan to be here. Hope to see you one of these days!

2 Likes

Hi @BanjoBen & @AdamAsh Just been re-visiting this lesson and I was wondering if you could include TABs Tef Files for the tunes featured in the lesson

Cluck Old Hen - Sawmill - G Modal
Soldiers Joy - Drop C
Angeline the Baker - Double C
Ruben - Option 2 D Tuning
Little Lisa Jane Option 3 D Tuning
Shady Grove - D Minor Tuning
Lorena - E Tuning

4 Likes

Adam doesn’t have those tabs, but perhaps @Dragonslayer could get to work on these.

5 Likes

Ooh fun! I’ll get started

4 Likes

@AdamAsh what do these alternative tunings mean for other instruments? Are the tunings close enough that other instruments play in their normal tuning? For example, drop C tuning is often used for banjos playing Angeline the Baker. Tune the banjo to drop C, capo up two frets and play in the C position gets the banjo to D, which is the key the fiddlers like for that tune.

Do the fiddlers (and other instruments) play their normal key of D or are they expected to modify their playing to suit the banjo tuning? Or is the desired result that the alternate tuned banjo provides a more unique sound? Great topic and lesson by the way.

2 Likes