Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Covid-19 & Musical Instruments

Not a chance of Rhyming Slang as it is not even half as funny as the language that comes out from Marie my wife there is not a day when she does not use a word that I have not heard before from her Scots English.

“Think I will go Dust my Broom” Today

4 Likes

To Texas we are headed, back toward the farm where I grew up, where I at least know which neighbors to shoot.

11 Likes

Wally’s Scarf!

1 Like

Canoe museum? My Mom grew up in Watertown, NY and used to tell us about the long cold winters, but I never realized it was that bad. (You know, five mile walk to school through the snow, uphill both ways, with nothing but a potato to keep her warm - and that was lunch!) I get raised eyebrows when I describe my planned trip to the banjo museum in Oklahoma. I think if I told people of a desire to visit a canoe museum, they’d urge me to see a doctor.

3 Likes

Bless her heart! I live just outside Watertown and all her tales are true, although we get more snow than Watertown.
BTW- The Maple Museum is not far from here. The banjo museum is on my bucket list.
Funny thing, Cooperstown is the home to the Baseball HOF, and it’s not too far from here, but I’ve never had any interest in visiting it. Cooperstown is also the start of the General Clinton Canoe Race (Memorial Day -70 miles in one day. record time is 6 hr 36 mins.) Now that’s a reason to visit Cooperstown! It’s odd to see the river coming out of the lake, just the way James Fenimore Cooper described it in “Last of the Mohicans.” When you look at the river & read his description, you realize what a lousy writer he really was!

1 Like

Didn’t they call that race Yagatta Ragatta many years ago? Used to go down the Susquehanna River into Binghamton?

Those are very close to where I grew up also. Close to Oneonta (Brooks barbeque). I love that area. Really miss those brutal winters. Especially this time of year.

Yep. That’s the one. It’s such a beautiful area.

@BanjoBen, does that mean your leaving nashville for good? Or what are you talking about?

2 Likes

We don’t know for sure, but maybe try to keep our place in Nash and rent it out, then still do camps there. I need to get back toward the family farm eventually, always have wanted to. Current circumstances have sped that up a bit.

6 Likes

Cool. So will you be raising purple hulls?

2 Likes

Just 9 hours ago, MSN reports a feed from Desecret News on Covid-19 that it was not fake.

Dr. Fauci says he’s fed up with people who say COVID-19 is fake

The article that uses Dr Fauci to bring credibility to their views provides the following spin and misinformation. “Consider this — If the coronavirus was as deadly as the flu, fewer than 5,000 Americans would have died. But the coronavirus has killed more than 250,000 people, and we’re still months away from its conclusion.”

As per CDC website, estimated flu death for 2016-17 season (approx. 6 month period) is 38,000. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2016-2017.html.

So here is proof in front of you that media is filled with fake news.

Also they make straw man out of covid is fake and beat him to death, instead of addressing people’s real questions or concerns on covid.

2 Likes

“Lies, damned lies & statistics!”
—Winston Churchill

Since you are digging out statistics, can you find the percentage of the American population that practiced infection protection techniques, such as hand washing, social distancing and mask wearing, during the 2016-2017 flu season?
If the rate is the same as 2020, you have a valid point.
If it is different from 2020, your conclusions may contain a flaw.

As for “fake news,” well of course it’s fake!. Their job is to sell newspapers & nothing more. They are very, very good at it. They peddle fake news like cocaine.
And people become addicted to it. We will sit in front of our televisions and yell at those bad people on TV for telling us whoppers. Rather than ignore the bad people that deliberately tell us falsehoods, we tune in again tomorrow for more of the same, which makes the media feel very important. They even count how many people tune in to their falsehoods and brag about it.

Mark Twain was right when he wrote, “Those that read don’t read a newspaper are uninformed. Those that do read a newspaper are misinformed.”

And none of this has anything to do with banjo care & maintenance, which this topic is supposed to be about. See how addictive fake news can be?

2 Likes

Guy’s I am not going to continue debating this topic. It’s a rather pointless exercise. All I will say is, beyond the borders of the USA the rest of the world is not obsessing whether or not Covid is fake news. Believe what you want to believe. Me I am inclined to listen to the doctors, nurses and scientists who are experts in their field of research not to politicians spreading misinformation. I know am relatively safe sitting here in lockdown playing my banjo. banjo

3 Likes

I wish I could give this TWO likes!

1 Like

I agree with Archie…this thread has just about run it’s course…

2 Likes

@BanJoe, see, you agree, and that was my point! I’m not making any conclusions about covid. Like I said, I can raise questions about it, and government has the duty to answer with hard and convincing facts before they force anything upon public, not by creating/swaying some public opinions via fake news, Another item I saw from yesterday, an NY Sheriff refused to implement covid house rules for the holiday saying it was also against constitution. But I respect your house rules regarding banjo!

2 Likes

FWIW - My point about “fake news” is there is no point in getting upset by it, there’s no point in getting angered by it and there is no point in paying any attention to it.
That’s how you kill it.

3 Likes

I don’t get upset or angered by fake news! In fact I like it for this reason. It is like a bubble and I like bursting it. :wink:

3 Likes

Keep up the good work.

Time to move on now.

1 Like

@BanjoBen I’ll be praying for you & your family that God leads you… moving can be a huge decision to make for a family.

3 Likes