Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Collaboration #1: Will The Circle Be Unbroken

I know that you were just going for what sounded good. :+1: “More of me in the mix” is an ongoing joke for me (I love private jokes with myself). Where I played for about 4 years we used wedge monitors (I dislike in-ears, but am forced to using them now, but I digress). It was a nearly weekly thing where we’d get one person or another asking for “More of me in the monitors”. A couple of the folks wanted it so loud that we had problems balancing the sound out front due to stage volume. I always wanted to get shirts printed up with “More of me in the mix” on the back so folks could just turn around when they wanted more juice.

I know what you are saying about the bass frequencies, and honestly on my full range monitors, it sounded ok in the first mix to my ear. It could have been a bit more, but it wasn’t low enough to be distracting. When I tried to boost it up on the latest mixing session, it started driving the overall levels in a big way. A 20 hz hit has much more effect than a high frequency one. Anyway, I tried to mix it to where it sounded more prevalent in headsets (decent ones but not awesome), and the only way was by pushing you up around 100 hz and down below that. I expected that as headsets aren’t going to typically get meaningful response at 20 hz. Running it hotter required compression to even things out between individual notes. With all that sad, I don’t like the hard compression or the 100 hz EQ hump on the bass, but I was just trying to get it more forward for you. It’s a work in progress and we’ll keep trying to get a better sound with it. If you do happen to be playing with your recording equipment, a hotter track might help to allow a more prominent bass.

1 Like

Indeed… you all are doing great!

Right on! Sounding real good.

Welcome back Larry! Good Thanksgiving?

Hey guys! Here’s my wav with the pulse tone. I was able to use the volume automation for the rhythm track so all that’s left is the solo at the 2 min mark.

3 Likes

Hey Guy’s How’s about sharing the sound files HERE on the website so everyone can listen in

the latest mix is in post #93 (small links on the bottom for MP3 and WAV

Hi Dave I meant HERE in an active link on the website not in a DROPBOX

Tasty!! Love it!

My WAV files were too big…they’re about 25mb each.

Nice job on the guitar Jason!

Thanks!

Ben, Wav files generally are big. If you save it as an Mp3 it should compress down significantly .

ReformedCellist, thanks for the track, I like it!

I (or Larry) will get a mix done before too long. I am out all day. When it is December and it is sunny and 70, you gotta make the most of it!

Speaking of making another mix: if anyone has suggestions, bring them on. Dave, I think I have a better feel for what your ear wants. Not sure I can match what you want, but I’ll try again. I need to work on the mando chop volume a bit. Any other suggestions/requests?

1 Like

Really smooth. I like it!

can someone please update this list to what it looks like now ?

[
0:07 fiddle -Dave

0:26 Banjo - Mark

0:46 Mandola - Mark

1:05 Dobro - Ben

1:24 Banjo - Jack

1:42 Open

2:02 Guitar (Jason)

2:21 KB1

2:40 chorus 3 Open

3:00 break 3

3:18 verse 4

3:38 chorus 4

3:57 break 4

4:16 chorus 5

4:35 turnaround

thank you! is chorus. break. verse all the same since there is no singing. sorry i dont know the song that well

Yes each time through is identical. The chord progression is the same regardless of title.

ok book me in on that 2:21 verse 3
im gonna give it my best, but cant promise anything

2 Likes