Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Collaboration #1: Will The Circle Be Unbroken

Thanks for the quick response. I have Ableton Live 9. I’m sure it does, but not sure how to use it. Will look at the tutorial videos. I’m only using the .wav with Mike playing guitar, and I really need to use that one because it takes me 10 takes to get one I like.

Hopefully, I’ll find something in the tutorials, but will send in one without synch tone if absolutely necessary.

Anyone know how much longer we have?

Jack

Jack,
Plenty of time…don’t feel rushed. If someone else gets a break done before you we can just hold that break at 1:05 open

Looks like some really involved software…good luck finding what your looking for…

You should be able to start listening to the base track at any point you want to (not just at the beginning) when attempting to record your break. And then return to that favorite start point if you need another take.

If you can get a break you like on only 10 takes you’re way ahead of me…think I ran through it around 30 times (after I’d worked on the lead for a day or two).

If you just can’t figure it out in the end… you can send me a link to your break and I can make up a track with the sync tone on it and manually put your break in the correct place to turn in for mixing…it takes some time, but I have plenty of that. .

I really appreciate that. Will keep you posted on my progress. Jack

1 Like

Hello,

OK, I think I may have it. I recorded on Audacity which is way easier to use than the Ableton. Please let me know if this works, or if I have to put it in Dropbox. Not familiar with using that, but I gladly will if necessary. Thanks to everyone who provided guidance on this. I couldn’t have done it without y’all.

Jack

Attempt Number 2. :roll_eyes:

Will the Circle Rhythm Track with Banjo

Jack,
Glad to hear you got it worked out!

You don’t want to include the rhythm track…only the tone and your instrument: nothing else on your track.

You need to post a link that will “share”

the one you posted says “need permission” meaning it is your private link you use…

I sent an email asking permission…

Dave

Dave,

OK. Thank you for letting me know. I will fix it tomorrow, and repost.

Jack

1 Like

Just updated and is now in Dropbox. Please let me know if anyone sees any problems.

Thank You,

Jack
Circle Unbroken Banjo Break

That should work fine! Link worked good too… yer gettin this down!

Only thing I’ll mention is next time you record: let the last note ring as long as it can before stopping he track.

I’ll get on my other computer and see if I can get it moved for you.

Cool…Appreciate that.

Jack

1 Like

Treblemaker’s Break

Y’all got me playing dobro again for the first time in YEARS!!! Thank you! Perhaps this will work:

Here is it dry: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p96yjewlv9io49s/CircleDobro-Dry.wav?dl=0

Here it is with verb/compression: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w1ofponbt6ia62/CircleDobro-Wet.wav?dl=0

3 Likes

Sweet! Thanks Jack, Dave and Ben. I’ll try to get it mixed by tomorrow.

2 Likes

Here are an MP3 and a WAV of a mix with the breaks by Jack and Ben. Also added chops by Mark. Nice job guys!

Also played with bass per Dave’s comments. Dave, I compressed it and EQ’d it to boost a range I generally don’t like (but makes the bass more audible). The original had a ton of very low frequency, I rolled that back and boosted a bit higher. I wonder if making the original track a bit hotter on recording might give a more even (less compression needed) result.

FWIW, I want to encourage feedback on mixing and so forth. You all won’t hurt my feelings unless you try pretty hard. Different folks have different preferences. Also, I haven’t spent a great deal of time with the mix since Larry will redo it when he gets back, so the more ears, the better. This wasn’t the first time (nor will it be the last time) that I hear the words “More of me in the mix.”:grin: I bet Ben could sell a few shirts with that phrase.

MP3
WAV

4 Likes

Ben, your track had a notation on it that said “Tempo 100” when I brought it into Reaper. I hadn’t seen that before. Was that something you explictly set or is that something your DAW automatically does?

haha, my comments had nothing to do with “more me”…rather. with tonal balance of the whole against all the highs in the rest of the instrumentation.

The “lowness” is meant to be there and transfers as “fullness” or “power” when listened to in the context of the full recording…

After reading your comments and listening to the mix I’ve concluded I could have probably played on the higher register you are more used to hearing on bass to give you more of the tonality you are looking for.

The “even” result you’re looking for is easily accomplished by using an electric bass…A double bass has a “punch” followed by decay and echoing harmonic frequencies that give it that special natural/acoustic sound (wow, I’m inside the instrument!) It is the same as the difference in micing a guitar or using a pickup. The more compression you use the more you imitate using an electric instrument.

My normal starting point on mixing is to balance the “punch” of the bass with the chop of the mando and working for a compromise between what is heard through headphones and speakers, give the one and three a very slight boost in feel over two and four.(usually happens naturally due to the frequencies)

No big deal…we just have different ears…haha.

All that being said, I can hear the bass now in my headphones…:sunglasses:

Looks like we all need to be buying property near Ben. Nashville, here we come! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

we have a famous country singer living in nashville, famous here anyway maybe not to you fellas

1 Like

The DAW (Logic pro) does that automatically when exporting the individual tracks.

1 Like

Sounding good guys! Lots of fun.