Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Collaboration #1: Will The Circle Be Unbroken

Yeah, I can’t play it either, RC.

Your recording might work, but it’ll be easier on the mixing guy if you download the backing track from here:

There’s a sync tone at the beginning that they’re using to make sure all the tracks are synced. Scroll up to the #2 post in this thread for step by step instructions posted by Mike_R.

I think Mike was the only other guitar picker, so another guitar part should work out fine. Also, when you go to share the file from GarageBand, uncheck the box to send compressed. That will export your recording as an AIF file. It’s a lossless format and will yield better quality.

Well that link didn’t work either. You can get the backing track from the very first post in this thread.

Thanks Dave and Mark. The latest mix can be found at post 42, but I’ll put a link to the mp3 in this post as well:
Mix 2 MP3 (same as in post 42)

Here’s the dropbox link to the aif file. I was able to record with the backing track at the 2 minute mark.

1 Like

tried the link and got a box saying the file doesn’t exist…
I ended up on my own dropbox
Think maybe you just sent the wrong link?

I did notice your lick says /preview/ where the /s/ is in the other licks as in below…

/www.dropbox.com/s/

also: the other links that have worked all end with ?dl=0 after the file type. (missing form yours)

Here’s what happens when I copy the link from dropbox. It sends this. I was able to export it as a wav file. This link ends in dl=0 like the other ones.

1 Like

I think my last link might work

Yup! That did it. Sounded great! I love those 2 note leads you incorporated in there. Very smooth.

Awesome!

Cool, I’ll try to get it mixed tomorrow!

Couple of Questions: Will GB not let you produce separate tracks? Does it only come out as a mix?

Mike, Is the bass track I provided strong enough to bring up later? Should I cut another stronger one? I realise this is a very rough mix, but even on my headphones it is non-existent compared to the guitar.rhythm.

I’ve been pretty disappointed with GB in general. It seems to lack a lot of basic features in other recording software. I really miss the punch in and silence selection features from other packages.

That being said, the way I exported only 1 track in GB was to mute all of the tracks I didn’t want exported. That seemed to do the trick.

The bass sounded good in my headphones, but when I ran it through my PA speakers, it all but disappeared. I’m sure it’ll be better in the final mix. This is just a very rough cut.

It is fine by my estimation. With that said, there is room for more signal on the track if you want to make a hotter track, feel free. I mixed it on monitors (full range) and didn’t spend a whole lot of time fiddling with it. I’ll give it a closer listen next pass. The GTR is louder than it would be in a final, as it was what was carrying the rhythm track at this point. It will come down a bit as we get other instruments in the mix. FWIW, everything I do in mixing is going to go away when Larry gets back. He’ll bring all the sep tracks in and mix them on his end.

I hadn’t listened to reformedcellist’s WAV before. It sounds nice, we’ll need a track without the rhythm guitar for mixing. You can keep the recording you have, but to create a track without the rhythm guitar, you’ll need to run the volume down after the synch tone. In order to find how to do that, do a google search for “garageband volume automation” and there are a bunch of how-to articles and videos.

Thanks, just wanted to know if enough was there to use, as I know it had a lot of room yet.

What I did was copy and paste the sync tone from the guitar track to the tracks I made for my recordings and just made sure it was moved all the way to the left of each track. If you didn’t have to do anything to my tracks to get them to sync, I guess that means it worked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mark, that worked fine. There is a bit of a risk to that in that you have to ensure the copied synch tone lines up exactly with the one from the base track. With that said, what you did worked fine.

Yeah, I was a little worried about that, but when I made the selection to cut the sync tone, I put my mouse cursor to the right of the tone and then dragged left and made sure to drag past the 0 second mark. That way when I pasted it in the other tracks, I just had to make sure the sync tone was moved all the way to the left.

Glad it worked.

I have been working on recording my break. Though I play along with the track, following the synch tone and count in, my software is starting my track a bar early on playback. I have the Ableton metronome off, with no count in set. Any ideas?

Would it work if I had to send in just my track without the synch tone and count in.

What are you using for software?

does it have cut/paste option, or can you move it to the correct place? (can on Audacity but it takes a few tries to get it right)

You can provide track without a sync tone, but it is a lot of extra work for the engineer. It is best to provide the sync tone.

Just to make sure…are you starting your break after the one minute mark? (should be) or right after the sync tone on top of the fiddle?
I’d suggest using the latest mix version for your base track…it makes it much easier to know where to come in with the next break.