Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Clawhammer Banjo

I have been coming to the site for Mandolin, but I have an really old Columbia banjo that I bought over 30 years ago. I think it’s more like a Franken-banjo, made up of spare parts. The fret board has what looks like an ivory section where it meets the pot that’s says Columbia. Well, my question is, do any of you banjo players on this site also play clawhammer banjo? I just started learning from a local musician. I am also going to a banjo camp at the end of the month in Sorrento BC with Chris Coole. If any of you guys cross over to clawhammer and know some good youtube videos or sites, please pass it on. I don’t think there will be one as good as this site for learning, but I’m hoping.

I would love for Ben to post some lessons on Claw hammer. I love that sound but as of yet I have not mastered it . Not even close .

I’ve seen some videos on murphymethod.com for Clawhammer lessons, but haven’t used them or talked to anyone that has. I’ve used a couple of their DVD’s for learning Scruggs style and have been pleased, but the Clawhammer gal is a different teacher than Murphy Henry.

So basically I got nothing for you in the way of “Hey, here’s a good resource!”

If you don’t know the Banjo Hangout at http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/active.asp then take a look.

There is a sizeable clawhammer community and there are lots of tabs in the tab archive. The discussions in both clawhammer and bluegrass banjo are numerous and of varying usefulness (it’s an internet forum!)

The Murphy Method Clawhammer DVD’s are taught by Lynn Morris. She is won the national banjo championship in 1974 and 1981. She later formed the Lynn Morris Band. I recently bought the DVD during one of Murphy’s 1/2 price sale and think it is excellent. It is basically Murphys method applied to Clawhammer. She spends some time on the basic bum-ditty strum and then does a three songs in G tuning, a couple in double C tuning.

— Begin quote from "beardedbanjo"

I’ve seen some videos on murphymethod.com for Clawhammer lessons, but haven’t used them or talked to anyone that has. I’ve used a couple of their DVD’s for learning Scruggs style and have been pleased, but the Clawhammer gal is a different teacher than Murphy Henry.

So basically I got nothing for you in the way of “Hey, here’s a good resource!”

— End quote

Josh Turknet has a lot on you tube and free stuff. I have been learning some clawhammer too because some songs just fit it. Especially the Stephen Foster tunes.